1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1-D Lagrange and Hamilton equation gives different results.

1. May 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This was supposed to be an easy question. I have a question here that wants you to describe a yoyo's acceleration (in one dimension) using Lagrangian mechanics. I did and got the right answer. Now I want to use Hamilton's equations of motion but I get a wrong number. Here is the excerpt

"A yoyo attached to a mass less string is suspended vertically from a fixed point and the other end is wrapped several times around a uniform cylinder of mass, m and radius R. When the cylinder is released it moves vertically down, rotating as the string unwinds. Write down the Lagrangian equation using the distance x as your generalized coordinate. Find the Lagrange equation of motion and show that the cylinder accelerates downward with #\ddot{x}# = 2g/3"
    2. Relevant equations
    I used Hamilton equation xdot = partial H/partial P
    To help,
    L = (3/4) m xdot^2 + mgx
    and
    H = (3p^2)/(4m) - mgx

3. The attempt at a solution

I used Hamilton's equation and took the derivative
    d/dt (xdot) = xddot = d/dt(3p/4m)
    xddot = (3 xddot)/2

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The momentum, ##p##, that enters into the Hamiltonian should be the "canonical momentum" which is determined from the Lagrangian. You should find that ## p \neq m \dot{x}##.

4. May 3, 2016 #3
    I get ##p = \partial L / \partial \dot{q} = (6/4) m \dot{x}## but I dont know how/where to replace this ##p## into. Back into L and then re equate the Hamiltonian then use the Hamiltonian equation?

5. May 3, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK for your result for ##p##.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "re equate the Hamiltonian". There is a specific prescription for constructing the Hamiltonian from the Lagrangian and the canonical momentum.

6. May 3, 2016 #5
    We im stuck at ##p = (6/4)m \dot{x}## do I take this result and somehow put ##p## back into the lagrange?

7. May 3, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. May 3, 2016 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted