1-D Lagrange and Hamilton equation gives different results.

In summary, the yoyo attached to a mass less string is suspended vertically from a fixed point and the other end is wrapped several times around a uniform cylinder of mass, m and radius R. When the cylinder is released it moves vertically down, rotating as the string unwinds. Write down the Lagrangian equation using the distance x as your generalized coordinate. Find the Lagrange equation of motion and show that the cylinder accelerates downward with #\ddot{x}# = 2g/3.
13Nike

Homework Statement

This was supposed to be an easy question. I have a question here that wants you to describe a yoyo's acceleration (in one dimension) using Lagrangian mechanics. I did and got the right answer. Now I want to use Hamilton's equations of motion but I get a wrong number. Here is the excerpt

"A yoyo attached to a mass less string is suspended vertically from a fixed point and the other end is wrapped several times around a uniform cylinder of mass, m and radius R. When the cylinder is released it moves vertically down, rotating as the string unwinds. Write down the Lagrangian equation using the distance x as your generalized coordinate. Find the Lagrange equation of motion and show that the cylinder accelerates downward with #\ddot{x}# = 2g/3"

Homework Equations

I used Hamilton equation xdot = partial H/partial P
To help,
L = (3/4) m xdot^2 + mgx
and
H = (3p^2)/(4m) - mgx

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I used Hamilton's equation and took the derivative
d/dt (xdot) = xddot = d/dt(3p/4m)
xddot = (3 xddot)/2

Physics news on Phys.org
The momentum, ##p##, that enters into the Hamiltonian should be the "canonical momentum" which is determined from the Lagrangian. You should find that ## p \neq m \dot{x}##.

Likes 13Nike
TSny said:
The momentum, ##p##, that enters into the Hamiltonian should be the "canonical momentum" which is determined from the Lagrangian. You should find that ## p \neq m \dot{x}##.
I get ##p = \partial L / \partial \dot{q} = (6/4) m \dot{x}## but I don't know how/where to replace this ##p## into. Back into L and then re equate the Hamiltonian then use the Hamiltonian equation?

OK for your result for ##p##.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "re equate the Hamiltonian". There is a specific prescription for constructing the Hamiltonian from the Lagrangian and the canonical momentum.

Likes 13Nike
TSny said:
OK for your result for ##p##.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "re equate the Hamiltonian". There is a specific prescription for constructing the Hamiltonian from the Lagrangian and the canonical momentum.
We I am stuck at ##p = (6/4)m \dot{x}## do I take this result and somehow put ##p## back into the lagrange?

1. Why do Lagrange and Hamilton equations give different results?

The Lagrange and Hamilton equations are two different mathematical approaches used to describe the motion of a system. While they both aim to find the path of least action, they use different variables and assumptions, resulting in different solutions.

2. Which equation should I use for my system, Lagrange or Hamilton?

The choice between Lagrange or Hamilton equations depends on the specific system you are studying. Lagrange equations are better suited for systems with constraints, while Hamilton equations are useful for systems with conserved quantities. It is best to consult a textbook or an expert in the field to determine which equation is most appropriate for your system.

3. Can the Lagrange and Hamilton equations be used interchangeably?

While both Lagrange and Hamilton equations aim to describe the same physical phenomenon, they are not interchangeable. Each equation has its own set of assumptions and variables, leading to different results. They can, however, provide complementary insights into a system when used together.

4. What are the main differences between Lagrange and Hamilton equations?

The main differences between Lagrange and Hamilton equations lie in the variables used and the assumptions made. Lagrange equations use generalized coordinates and velocities, while Hamilton equations use generalized coordinates and momenta. Additionally, Lagrange equations consider constraints, while Hamilton equations consider conserved quantities.

5. Are there any advantages to using Hamilton equations over Lagrange equations?

Hamilton equations have the advantage of being able to describe systems with conserved quantities, such as energy, which cannot be easily accounted for in Lagrange equations. Additionally, Hamilton equations have a more symmetrical form, making them more elegant and easier to work with in some cases. However, both equations have their own strengths and limitations, and the choice between them depends on the specific system being studied.