Solving for Acceleration in an Incline Plane Problem: m1=4.50kg, m2=2.80kg

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
maff is tuff
Messages
65
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



A block of mass m1 = 4.50 kg on a frictionless inclined plane of angle 30.0° is connected by a cord over a massless, frictionless pulley to a second block of mass m2 = 2.80 kg hanging vertically.

What is the magnitude of the acceleration of each block?



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I have attached two of my many attempts. I think the second attempt is closer because I realized that since the blocks are connected that they have the same magnitude of acceleration but just different directions. Both of these answers are wrong along with the many others I have submitted. Some help and/or hints would be great. Thanks.
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
The force acting on the mass m1 via mass m2 is the tension T in the rope and it is only equal to m_1*g when nothing moves. The mass m_1 is accelerating so T - m_1*g = m_1*a, T is not equal to m_1.

I think it helps to draw a separate free body diagram for each mass.
 
Attachments
  • mass on plane027.jpg
    mass on plane027.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 484
Ok thanks that makes sense. I'll try the problem again tomorrow.