Incline Plane Problem given mass, friction, 2 velocities

In summary, a 50 kg solid mass slides down an incline plane with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.05. The velocity is measured to be 2.00 m/s and 5.00 m/s at two points 15 m apart. The magnitude of forces acting on the mass are gravity (Fg) = 50 kg x -9.81 m/s^2 and normal force (Fn) = mgcos(theta). The acceleration of the mass is 0.700 m/s^2. The angle of inclination for the plane can be found by using the equation Ftotal = ma and solving for theta.
TehDarkArchon

Homework Statement

A solid mass weighing 50 kg slides down an incline plane with the coefficient of kinetic friction being 0.05. The velocity is measured to be 2.00 m/s and 5.00 m/s at two points 15 m apart. What are the A) Magnitude and direction of all forces action on the solid mass B) Acceleration of the mass and C) Angle the plane is inclined at?

Homework Equations

Fg = mg
Fn = mgcos(theta)
fs = (uk x Fn)
mgsin(theta)

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have the force of gravity (Fg) being mg = (50kg)(-9.81 m/s^2) but Fn = mgcos(theta), and since this is not given how would I go about calculating this? Also for part B, I was under the impression that since there is kinetic friction, using the kinematic equations would not work in this situation. Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi TehDarkArchon! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a mu: µ anad a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
TehDarkArchon said:
… for part B, I was under the impression that since there is kinetic friction, using the kinematic equations would not work in this situation.

All the forces are constant (including the friction), so the acceleration is constant, and the standard constant acceleration equations apply.

Use one of them to answer B first, then call the angle θ and answer A and C …

what do you get? :smile:

Thank you very much for the prompt response, and sorry about not taking the time to get a good understanding of the formatting before posting =\ For B I used the equation vf2 = vo2 + 2ad, which in my case is rearranged to get (25 m/s - 4 m/s)/(2 x 15 m) giving me 0.700 m/s2. I am confused about the angle though...should I use another kinematic equation and solve for time and then split the plane into horizontal and verticle components? It seems pretty complicated that way..

Hi TehDarkArchon! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
TehDarkArchon said:
For B I used the equation vf2 = vo2 + 2ad, which in my case is rearranged to get (25 m/s - 4 m/s)/(2 x 15 m) giving me 0.700 m/s2.

Yup! :biggrin:
Im confused about the angle though...should
I use another kinematic equation and solve for time and then split the plane into horizontal and verticle components? It seems pretty complicated that way..

Forget about horizontal and vertical …

in problems like this, use along-the-slope and perpendicular-to-the-slope instead!

There's zero acceleration perpendicular-to-the-slope, so that tells you what N is (as a function of θ), that gives you the friction force, and then you use Ftotal = ma along-the-slope, and solve for θ so that a = 0.7. :wink:

I would approach this problem by first identifying the known and unknown variables and then using the appropriate equations to solve for the unknowns.

For the known variables, we have the mass (m = 50 kg), the coefficient of kinetic friction (uk = 0.05), and the velocities at two points (v1 = 2.00 m/s and v2 = 5.00 m/s).

To find the magnitude and direction of all forces acting on the solid mass, we can use Newton's second law (F = ma). Since the mass is moving with a constant velocity, we know that the net force acting on it is equal to zero. Therefore, the forces acting on the mass must be balanced, and we can set up the following equation:

Fg + fs = m*a

where Fg is the force of gravity, fs is the force of kinetic friction, and a is the acceleration of the mass.

To find the force of gravity, we can use Fg = mg, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s^2). This gives us Fg = (50 kg)(9.81 m/s^2) = 490.5 N.

To find the force of kinetic friction, we can use the equation fs = uk*Fn. Fn represents the normal force, which is the force exerted by the incline plane on the mass. Since the mass is sliding down the incline, the normal force will be perpendicular to the incline and equal to the component of the force of gravity in that direction. Therefore, we can use Fn = mgcos(theta), where theta is the angle of the incline plane.

To find theta, we can use the trigonometric relationship between the angle of the incline and the given velocities. We know that the incline is 15 m long and the mass travels with a velocity of 2.00 m/s and 5.00 m/s at two points on the incline. Therefore, we can set up the following equation:

tan(theta) = (v2-v1)/15

Solving for theta, we get theta = 18.4 degrees.

Now, we can use this value to find the normal force, which is equal to (50 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)cos(18.4) = 457.2 N.

Finally,

1. What is an inclined plane problem?

An inclined plane problem is a physics problem that involves a sloping surface, known as an inclined plane, and a mass that is moving or at rest on the plane. The goal of these problems is to calculate the forces and motion of the mass on the plane.

2. How is mass determined in an inclined plane problem?

Mass is typically given in an inclined plane problem and is measured in kilograms (kg). It is a measure of the amount of matter in an object and is a key factor in determining the forces and motion of the object on the inclined plane.

3. What is friction in an inclined plane problem?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of an object and is a common factor in inclined plane problems. It is caused by the contact between two surfaces and is affected by the weight of the object and the roughness of the surfaces.

4. How do velocity and acceleration relate in an inclined plane problem?

In an inclined plane problem, velocity and acceleration are related through the principles of Newton's laws of motion. The acceleration of an object on an inclined plane is affected by the force of gravity and any other external forces acting on the object.

5. How do I solve an inclined plane problem?

To solve an inclined plane problem, you will need to use principles of physics such as Newton's laws of motion, the equations for calculating force, and the concept of work and energy. It is important to carefully read and understand the given information and use the appropriate equations to calculate the forces and motion of the object on the inclined plane.