1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for an unknown in differential equation solution

1. Aug 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(1): [tex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} + 4\frac{dy}{dx} + 20y = 10e^{-2x}\cos (rx)[/tex], [tex]y(0) = 1[/tex], [tex]y'(0) = 0[/tex]

Show that there is precisely one value for r for which [tex] e^{2x}y(x)[/tex] can become arbitrarily large where [tex]y(x)[/tex] is a solution of (1)

3. The attempt at a solution

I used Maple to solve the DE and found a particular solution [tex]y(x)[/tex].

[tex] e^{2x}y(x) = -\frac{10(-\cos 4x + \cos rx)}{-16+r^2}[/tex]

When r tends to 4 or -4 then [tex]e^{2x}y(x)[/tex] can become arbitrarily large, but this doesn't seem to me like it satisfies the question - it's not "precisely one value" and it's not an exact value of r. I graphed [tex] e^{2x}y(x)[/tex] and can't see anywhere else it can become arbitrarily large. I feel like I'm missing something, can anyone point me in the right direction? Cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Ewan_C! :wink:

Sorry, but this is what happens when you take short-cuts …

there is a solution for r = ±4, but it doesn't involve cos4x.

Start again, put y = ze-2x, get the differential equation for z, put r = ±4, and look for another particular solution. :smile:

4. Aug 6, 2009 #3
    Hi Tim, thanks for the response.

So you mean that I should substitute y(x) = z(x)*e-2x into the original DE and solve it for z? Now I get it, that's what they meant from the start - I took "where y(x) is a solution of (1)" to mean a particular solution rather than the general solution.

We haven't yet been taught how to solve DEs with non-constant coefficients, so I used Maple again to solve the DE. I used the following commands:

DE := diff(exp(-2*x)*y(x),x,x)+4*diff(exp(-2*x)*y(x),x)+20*exp(-2*x)*y(x) =10*exp(-2*x)*cos(r*x);

DE_hom := diff(exp(-2*x)*y(x),x,x)+4*diff(exp(-2*x)*y(x),x)+20*exp(-2*x)*y(x) = 0;

dsolve({DE,y(0)=1,D(y)(0)=0},y(x)) - dsolve({DE_hom,y(0)=1,D(y)(0)=0},y(x));

I didn't substitute y(x)=z(x)e-2x as it made Maple get angry with me - my Maple skills aren't too brilliant! I think what I did is equivalent though?
    Am I correct in thinking that if you take the general solution of the DE and subtract the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous DE, the result is a particular solution of the DE?

This still gave me a particular solution with a cos(4x) term. I don't really know what's going on with this DE as I can't solve it by hand. Maybe the best next step would be to spend some time on the internet learning how solve DEs with non-constant coefficients?

5. Aug 6, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, Ewan_C, I've no idea what Maple is or how it works. :redface:

Surely you can work out what dy/dx and d2y/dx2 are in terms of dz/dx and d2z/dx2 without a calculator? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook