Solving for C and Y(x) in differential equations

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a separable differential equation and how to check the solution using implicit differentiation. The solution includes a constant that must be placed under the outer radical and considers both positive and negative roots.
demersal

Homework Statement

Solve the separable differential equation Subject to the initial condition y(0) = -10:

7x-3y[tex]\sqrt{x^{2}+1}[/tex][tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = 0

Homework Equations

Differential Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got up to the point where:
-[tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex]y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=-7[tex]\sqrt{x^{2}+1}[/tex]+C

I solved for c=-143

but when I plug it back in, I get a mess of an equation in solving for y(x) and each time I plug it into check my answer, it comes up as wrong. Can anyone show me the mistake I am making? (My answer ends up being (-2/3(-7(x^2+1)^(1/2)-143))^(1/2) or some variation of that).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In your solution equation, solve for y so that you have y = {whatever} + C. That will make it easier to differentiate and to substitute in your DE.

Ok, that sounds like a good idea. But I'm having trouble wrapping my head conceptually around the two square roots, since y^2 equals a term with a square root already in it. And does c go under the root? This may seem kind of trivial but I think this is why I've gotten this problem wrong 10 times already haha

How about multiplying both sides of the equation you ended up with by -2/3? Then you would have y^2 = some stuff + C', where C' = (-2/3) * (-143).

If you want to check your solution, you could take the derivative with respect to x implicitly (i.e., d/dx(y^2) = 2y dy/dx = d/dx(the stuff on the right side)). Then you could solve for dy/dx algebraically and substitute it back into the original equation. Might be a little simpler than a square root of a square root plus a constant. And yes, the constant would have to go under the outer radical. And you would have to consider positive and negative roots.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical and natural phenomena.

What is the process for solving a differential equation?

The process for solving a differential equation involves finding the general solution, which is a function that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the independent variable. This is followed by finding the particular solution, which is a specific function that satisfies the equation for a given set of initial conditions.

What is the role of C in solving for a differential equation?

C, also known as the constant of integration, is a constant that is added to the general solution to account for all possible solutions that satisfy the equation. It is typically found by using initial conditions or boundary conditions.

How do I solve for C in a differential equation?

To solve for C, you will need to use the given initial conditions or boundary conditions. Plug in the values for the independent variable and the function into the general solution and solve for C.

What is the significance of Y(x) in solving a differential equation?

Y(x) is the dependent variable in a differential equation, representing the function that we are trying to solve for. It is important because it is the solution to the equation and can provide information about the behavior of the system being modeled.