1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for C and Y(x) in differential equations

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the separable differential equation Subject to the initial condition y(0) = -10:

7x-3y[tex]\sqrt{x^{2}+1}[/tex][tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = 0

2. Relevant equations
    Differential Equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got up to the point where:
    -[tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex]y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=-7[tex]\sqrt{x^{2}+1}[/tex]+C

I solved for c=-143

but when I plug it back in, I get a mess of an equation in solving for y(x) and each time I plug it in to check my answer, it comes up as wrong. Can anyone show me the mistake I am making? (My answer ends up being (-2/3(-7(x^2+1)^(1/2)-143))^(1/2) or some variation of that).

Thanks!!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In your solution equation, solve for y so that you have y = {whatever} + C. That will make it easier to differentiate and to substitute in your DE.

4. Oct 15, 2008 #3
    Ok, that sounds like a good idea. But I'm having trouble wrapping my head conceptually around the two square roots, since y^2 equals a term with a square root already in it. And does c go under the root? This may seem kind of trivial but I think this is why I've gotten this problem wrong 10 times already haha

5. Oct 16, 2008 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

How about multiplying both sides of the equation you ended up with by -2/3? Then you would have y^2 = some stuff + C', where C' = (-2/3) * (-143).

If you want to check your solution, you could take the derivative with respect to x implicitly (i.e., d/dx(y^2) = 2y dy/dx = d/dx(the stuff on the right side)). Then you could solve for dy/dx algebraically and substitute it back into the original equation. Might be a little simpler than a square root of a square root plus a constant. And yes, the constant would have to go under the outer radical. And you would have to consider positive and negative roots.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?