Solving for du/dx with multiple variables/equations

• Thread starter jegues
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, the conversation was about finding the derivatives of two equations using implicit differentiation. The first equation was solved for t and the second equation for s, but the derivative for t was incorrect due to a careless mistake. The correct derivatives for both equations were found and the conversation ended with discussing how to solve for the derivative of the original equation in terms of both s and t.
jegues

Homework Statement

See figure.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, my plan of attack to get du/dx was to solve t in terms of x in one equation, solve s in terms of x in the other and all sub intio the original equation and that the derivative with respect to x.

I can solve t in terms of x,

[tex]t = \frac{4}{x^3+x^2}[/tex]

However, I'm having trouble doing the same for s. This is about as far as I can get,

[tex]s = ln\left(s^3x^2 - 1\right)[/tex]

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• DUDX.JPG
    DUDX.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to solve the equations. Use implicit differentiation to find dt/dx and ds/dx.

cristo said:
You don't need to solve the equations. Use implicit differentiation to find dt/dx and ds/dx.

Okay so,

Then,

[tex]\frac{dt}{dx} = \frac{-12x-8}{x^5 + 2x^4 + x^3}[/tex]

and,

[tex]\frac{ds}{dx} = \frac{2xs^3}{e^s-3s^2}[/tex]

I'm not sure if I solved for ds/dx or dt/dx correct, but I tried.

Anyone see any problems?

jegues said:
Okay so,

Then,

[tex]\frac{dt}{dx} = \frac{-12x-8}{x^5 + 2x^4 + x^3}[/tex]

This dt/dx is wrong. You somehow managed to lose a factor of x in every single term. I'm guessing it was a careless mistake.

[tex]\frac{ds}{dx} = \frac{2xs^3}{e^s-3s^2}[/tex]

This ds/dx is correct.

Do you know how to solve for du/dx from here?
[tex] \frac{du}{dx} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\frac{ds}{dx} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}\frac{dt}{dx} [/tex]

Raskolnikov said:
This dt/dx is wrong. You somehow managed to lose a factor of x in every single term. I'm guessing it was a careless mistake.

This ds/dx is correct.

Do you know how to solve for du/dx from here?
[tex] \frac{du}{dx} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\frac{ds}{dx} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}\frac{dt}{dx} [/tex]

I actually factored out an x and canceled it... I didnt know I couldn't do that?

jegues said:
I actually factored out an x and canceled it... I didnt know I couldn't do that?

You can. Sorry, I guess I just wasn't thinking.

Okay since,

Then,

[tex]\frac{du}{dx} = e^te^s\frac{2xs^3}{e^s-3s^2} + (e^te^s - sint)(\frac{-12x-8}{x^5+2x^4+x^3})[/tex]

Yep, that sounds right. You could easily solve for t in terms of x and e^s in terms of s and x, but I wouldn't bother really unless the problem specifically says to do so.

1. How do you solve for du/dx with multiple variables and equations?

To solve for du/dx with multiple variables and equations, you will need to use the chain rule. First, write out all of the equations involved and identify which variables are dependent on each other. Then, use the chain rule to find the derivative of each variable with respect to x. Finally, substitute these derivatives into the equation for du/dx and solve for the desired variable.

2. What is the purpose of solving for du/dx with multiple variables and equations?

Solving for du/dx with multiple variables and equations allows you to find the rate of change of a function with respect to x, taking into account all of the dependent variables. This is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics and economics, where multiple variables are often involved in a single equation.

3. Can you provide an example of solving for du/dx with multiple variables and equations?

For example, if you have the equations z = x^2 + y^2 and x = 2t + 1, you can solve for du/dx by using the chain rule. First, find the derivative of z with respect to x: dz/dx = 2x. Then, find the derivative of x with respect to x: dx/dx = 2. Finally, substitute these derivatives into the equation for du/dx: du/dx = dz/dx * dx/dx = 2x * 2 = 4x. So, in this case, du/dx = 4x.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving for du/dx with multiple variables and equations?

One common mistake to avoid is forgetting to use the chain rule. It is important to identify which variables are dependent on each other and use the chain rule to find the derivative of each variable with respect to x. Another mistake to avoid is not substituting the correct derivatives into the equation for du/dx. Make sure to double check your work to ensure all derivatives have been substituted correctly.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in solving for du/dx with multiple variables and equations?

One way to practice and improve your skills is by working on problems involving multiple variables and equations. Look for practice problems in textbooks or online resources. You can also create your own practice problems by coming up with equations involving multiple variables and solving for du/dx. Additionally, working with a tutor or in a study group can also help improve your skills and understanding of this concept.