1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for Flux. Basic Calculus question.

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Basic Question. My book describes the rate of heat transfer per unit of system area as [itex]\dot{Q}[/itex]=[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\dot{q}[/itex]dA.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm trying to solve for the flux. I've already discovered that the correct answer question is just the derivative of [itex]\dot{Q}[/itex] with respect to area, but this goes against other things I've read. I thought taking the derivative of an integral with respect to the same variable as the integration yields zero. For example, if I was integrating something with respect to area, and I take the derivative of the integral with respect to area, then the whole thing cancels out. Isn't this true? How would I solve for the flux in this case?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

When you integrate, the entire "argument" of the integration is the differential element of the desired function. The integration just sums them up. So for example,
    [tex] F(x) = \int f(x) dx [/tex]
    then the differential element for F(x) is f(x)dx. That is to say, dF = f(x)dx.

Rearranging, you find dF/dx = f(x).

So in your case [itex] d\dot{Q} = \dot{q}dA[/itex] and [itex] \frac{d\dot{Q}}{dA} = \dot{q}[/itex]

4. Oct 5, 2011 #3
    I think I understand what you are saying. The part where you mention dF=f(x)dx comes from just taking a derivative from both sides, correct? So dividing by dx will produce the dF/dx=f(x) I sought earlier correct?

5. Oct 5, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Right.

6. Oct 6, 2011 #5
    Thank you for your help Gneill!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook