What is the relationship between ds vector and theta in flux integrals?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of ds and how to find its components in terms of theta. The individuals also discuss the direction of the induced current in a wire and how it relates to the initial flux and changing flux.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 2.49.31 PM.png

Part b and e.

Homework Equations

Flux = surface integral of B (dot) ds

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to make sure that I have a good understanding of ds. ds is just the direction of the vector that is normal to our area that we are finding our flux throuhg correct? so that is why in part A we just take B*A in the -z(hat) direction because that is the direction of our ds vector. But for part b we have to find our flux in terms of the angle theta and I am stuck with how to find ds. what I have written down at the bottom there for ds is what the what it should be supposedly, but I can't see where it came from and I am struggling to derive it. How do I get ds here in terms of theta?
New Doc 2017-10-07.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
upload_2017-10-7_15-25-1.png

After correcting for the mistake shown above, can you find the y and z components of ##\vec{ds}##?

TSny said:
View attachment 212541
After correcting for the mistake shown above, can you find the y and z components of ##\vec{ds}##?
I had a feeling that angle wasn't theta. I am not too sure how to fix that drawing there to solve for ds. if that angle is not theta, what is it?

Edit* is it 90˚ - theta?

Marcin H said:
is it 90˚ - theta?
Yes.

TSny said:
Yes.
so to find the 2 components of ds do we just use cos and sin?

drawisland (1).png

==> ds_y = -ds*cos(90-theta)
==> ds_z = -ds*sin(90-theta)

===> ds = -ds[cos(90-theta)+sin(90-theta)]

What about the 90˚ part? how do we get rid of that?

TSny said:
ohhhhhhhh ok got it. That was tricky. Thanks!

I also was a bit confused by part D and E. So we have a initial flux from the surrounding Bfield going through the surface. That flux will induce a current in the wire. Now the question is which direction is it. I thought that the current should go in the direction that will produce an b field that goes against the initial B field. So by that the induced current would be clockwise. But I don't think that is correct and I am not sure why.

Marcin H said:
So we have a initial flux from the surrounding Bfield going through the surface. That flux will induce a current in the wire.
It's not the flux that induces a current, it's the changing flux that induces a current.

Now the question is which direction is it. I thought that the current should go in the direction that will produce an b field that goes against the initial B field.
The B field produced by the induced current does not necessarily point "against" the initial field.

The induced field creates a flux through the loop that opposes the change in initial flux. Another way to say it is that the induced flux is in a direction such as to try to keep the flux constant. Thus if the initial flux increases, the induced flux will be in the opposite direction of the initial flux. But if the initial flux decreases, the induced flux will be in the same direction as the initial flux.

1. What is a flux integral and how is it calculated?

A flux integral is a mathematical tool used in vector calculus to measure the flow of a vector field through a surface. It is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector to the surface, and then integrating over the surface.

2. What is a ds vector and how is it used in flux integrals?

A ds vector is a vector that is tangent to a surface and has a magnitude equal to the length of a small line segment on that surface. It is used in flux integrals to help define the surface over which the integral is being calculated.

3. Can flux integrals be calculated for any type of surface?

Flux integrals can be calculated for any smooth surface that is closed and bounded, meaning it has a finite area and is not infinite in any direction. This includes surfaces such as spheres, cubes, and cylinders.

4. How is the direction of flow determined in a flux integral?

The direction of flow in a flux integral is determined by the orientation of the surface being integrated over. The unit normal vector to the surface will point in the direction of the surface's outward normal, which is used in the calculation of the flux integral.

5. Can flux integrals be used in real-world applications?

Yes, flux integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating the flow of a fluid through a surface or the amount of heat passing through a surface. They are also used in electromagnetism to calculate the electric and magnetic fields passing through a surface.