Solving for force with sliding friction

In summary, the problem involves a 30.0 kg crate being pushed by a factory worker with a force that overcomes the coefficient of friction of .25. The question is asking for the force provided by the worker and can be solved by using Newton's First Law, which states that a body at rest or moving at a constant speed has no net force acting on it.

Homework Statement

A factory worker pushes a 30.0 kg crate a distance of 4.5 m along a level floor ata constant velocity by pushing horizontally on it. The coefficient of friction is .25.

I have been trying and i can't figure out how to solve this problem. Every attempt i make is dead end. I am not sure how to solve for the force will using the coefficient of friction.

Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's First Law states that a body at rest or moving in a straight line at a constant speed has no net force acting on it, that is, the sum of the forces (the net force) acting on it must be 0. Start from there, and please show your attempt. I assume the problem is asking you what is the force provided by the worker?

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause an object to accelerate or change direction. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

How is force related to sliding friction?

Sliding friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object as it slides over a surface. The force of friction is directly proportional to the normal force (the force exerted by the surface on the object) and the coefficient of friction (a measure of how rough the surfaces are).

How do you calculate the force of sliding friction?

The force of sliding friction can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force. The normal force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity.

What factors affect the force of sliding friction?

The force of sliding friction is affected by the weight of the object, the roughness of the surfaces, and the force pushing the two surfaces together. Other factors such as the temperature and the type of material can also affect the force of sliding friction.

Why is it important to consider sliding friction in scientific calculations?

Sliding friction plays a crucial role in many real-world situations, such as braking in a car or the movement of objects on an inclined plane. It is important to consider sliding friction in scientific calculations to accurately predict and understand the behavior of objects in motion.

Back