Solving for mass of a solute given ppm and volume?

In summary, the formula for calculating the mass of a solute given ppm and volume is: Mass of solute (g) = (ppm x Volume (mL)) / 1000. To convert ppm to grams per liter, you can use the formula: g/L = ppm / 1000. The unit of volume must be in milliliters (mL) in order to use the formula. It is necessary to know the density of the solution when solving for mass of a solute given ppm and volume, as ppm is a unit of concentration dependent on the solution's density. However, with the density and molecular weight of the solute, you can accurately calculate the mass of a solute given ppm and volume
CamD13
The question is: A solution contains 23ppm of dissolved O2 in 242.0066 mL of solution. What is the mass of the oxygen.

Formula: ppm=(grams of solute/grams of solution)*1,000,000

I tried plugging stuff in but it wasn't working out what so ever.

I just don't know how to do these when given so little information. Thanks in advance if you can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution is NOT water.

Formula calls for the mass of the solution. You are give volume. You either have enough information to do the conversion, or not - hard to say not knowing the context.

1. What is the formula for calculating the mass of a solute given ppm and volume?

The formula for calculating the mass of a solute given ppm and volume is:
Mass of solute (g) = (ppm x Volume (mL)) / 1000

2. How do I convert ppm to grams per liter?

To convert ppm to grams per liter, you can use the following formula:
g/L = ppm / 1000

3. Can I use any unit of volume when calculating the mass of a solute given ppm?

No, the unit of volume must be in milliliters (mL) in order to use the formula for calculating the mass of a solute given ppm and volume.

4. Is it necessary to know the density of the solution when solving for mass of a solute given ppm and volume?

Yes, in order to accurately calculate the mass of a solute, you must know the density of the solution. This is because ppm is a unit of concentration, which is dependent on the density of the solution.

5. Can I solve for the mass of a solute if I only have the ppm and volume of the solution?

Yes, as long as you know the density of the solution, you can use the formula to calculate the mass of a solute given ppm and volume. However, it is recommended to also have the molecular weight of the solute in order to confirm the accuracy of the calculation.