Solving for SHM Diatomic Energy Levels

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of approximating the allowed vibrational energy levels for a diatomic molecule by using simple harmonic motion and the uncertainty principle. The zero-point energy is obtained by using the uncertainty principle and inserting the values for delta x and delta p into the energy equation. The rest of the energy levels can be found using the Schrodinger equation and the solution is given by E = hbar * omega (n + 1/2), where n is the energy level. The conversation also mentions using the Boltzmann equation to determine the energy level based on temperature, and provides a useful guide and suggests doing a Google search for more information on the quantum harmonic oscillator.
James Brady
So I'm trying to figure out how we got the allowed vibrational energy levels for a diatomic molecule by approximating it with simple harmonic motion.

I do know how to use the uncertainty principle to get the zero-point energy:

We know that the potential function is ##V(x) = \frac{1}{2}mx^2## where x is the distance away from the equilibrium:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Knowing that ##k \Delta X^2 = \frac{\Delta P^2}{m}##
##\Delta X = \frac{\Delta P}{\sqrt{km}}##

So that's one Delta X, the other one you can get from the uncertainty principle:​

##\Delta X \Delta P \geq \frac{\hbar}{2}## therefore ##\Delta X = \frac{\hbar}{2 \Delta P}## at a minimum

These two values for delta x and inserted back into the original energy equation:

##V(x) = \frac{1}{2}m\frac{\Delta P}{\sqrt{km}}\frac{\hbar}{2 \Delta P}##

Delta P cancel out, multiply both numerator and denominator by k squared and you get the zero point energy:

##E_0 = \frac{\hbar}{2} \omega##
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's one energy level, how do I find the rest? If I start with just the Schrodinger equation:

##(-\frac{\hbar}{2m} \frac{d}{dx^2} + \frac{1}{2}kx^2)\psi(x) = E \psi(x) ##

I get that, but it's not so easy to solve, I know the answer should be: ##E = \hbar \omega(n + 1/2), n = 0,1,2...##

Also, how would I find which energy level the system is in based on temperature, the only thing I can think of right now is Botlzman ##E = \frac{3}{2}kT##, but I understand that much of this energy can be in the form of translational, rotational or oscillation, so...

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot, that was very helpful.

1. What is SHM diatomic energy level?

SHM diatomic energy levels refer to the quantized energy levels of a diatomic molecule undergoing simple harmonic motion. These energy levels are determined by the vibrational motion of the molecule, which is characterized by its bond length and force constant.

2. How do we solve for SHM diatomic energy levels?

Solving for SHM diatomic energy levels involves using the Schrödinger equation and the potential energy function of the molecule to determine the allowed energy levels. These calculations can be complex and often require the use of mathematical software or programming.

3. What factors affect SHM diatomic energy levels?

The main factors that affect SHM diatomic energy levels are the bond length and force constant of the molecule, as well as the masses of the atoms involved. Changes in these values can result in different energy levels and affect the behavior of the molecule.

4. Why is it important to understand SHM diatomic energy levels?

Understanding SHM diatomic energy levels is important in many fields of science, including chemistry, physics, and materials science. These energy levels can provide insight into the behavior and properties of molecules, and can also be used to predict and analyze chemical reactions.

5. Can SHM diatomic energy levels be experimentally observed?

Yes, SHM diatomic energy levels can be experimentally observed through techniques such as spectroscopy. By measuring the absorption or emission of energy by a molecule, the energy levels can be determined and compared to theoretical calculations. This can provide valuable information about the molecule's structure and behavior.