Solving for Speed, Height of Boy on Water Slide
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
38 replies · 7K views
Physics news on Phys.org
hannsparks
- 31
- 0
a2 + b2 = c2?
hannsparks
- 31
- 0
so it would be 10^2+ 0^2=speed^2
hannsparks
- 31
- 0
no that doesn't make any sense because the speed would be the same as the final speed, so we have to calculate the vi some how
hannsparks
- 31
- 0
would it make sense to solve for vi using the conservation of energy equation?
Homework Helper
- 864
- 1
Sorry, I've missed out a step.
I thought you had already worked out another velocity.
Ok, forget my earlier post about vi being a vertical velocity - that's wrong.
the 10 m/s, that is the horizontal velocity that the boy has when he leaves the slide. I think you called that Vb.
Ok, now we have to find the vertical velocity that the boy hits the water with.
He falls from a height h = 2.4 m ( the height of the slide above the water). He falls with a acceleration of g = 9.8 m/s². So,
v² - u² = 2as (with u,v,a,s as defined before)
v² - 0 = 2g*2.4
v = 6.858 m/s
===========
Then,
v² + Vb² = speed²
I thought you had already worked out another velocity.
Ok, forget my earlier post about vi being a vertical velocity - that's wrong.
the 10 m/s, that is the horizontal velocity that the boy has when he leaves the slide. I think you called that Vb.
Ok, now we have to find the vertical velocity that the boy hits the water with.
He falls from a height h = 2.4 m ( the height of the slide above the water). He falls with a acceleration of g = 9.8 m/s². So,
v² - u² = 2as (with u,v,a,s as defined before)
v² - 0 = 2g*2.4
v = 6.858 m/s
===========
Then,
v² + Vb² = speed²
hannsparks
- 31
- 0
wow! thanks fermat for all your patience with me I greatly appreciate it! I only discovered this website two days ago and I thank God I did you've been a tremendous help. thanks again
Similar threads
- Cody
- · Replies 6 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 6
- Shah 72
- · Replies 1 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 1
- Clever_name
- · Replies 34 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 34
- StormPix
- · Replies 2 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 2
- runningirl
- · Replies 11 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 11
- wmmk
- · Replies 3 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 3
- tahyus
- · Replies 1 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 1
- Bottomsouth
- · Replies 12 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 12
- pb23me
- · Replies 3 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 3