Sliding down a sphere of ice; when do you lose contact?

In summary, the problem involves a boy sliding down a frictionless hemispherical ice mound with a negligible initial speed. The boy's speed at any given height is known, and the direction of his motion should be tangent to the circle until contact with the ice is lost. To solve for the height at which he loses contact, a free body diagram must be drawn and a force balance must be done on the boy, taking into account the forces of gravity and the normal force. By equating the net unbalanced force to the centripetal acceleration (calculated using the radial component of the boy's velocity), the height at which he loses contact can be determined. The equation for
Nathanael
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

"A boy is initially seated on the top of a hemispherical ice mound of radius R = 13.8 m. He begins to slide down the ice, with a negligible initial speed. Approximate the ice as being frictionless. At what height does the boy lose contact with the ice?"

2. The attempt at a solution
I don't have much of a solution attempt. I know that the boy's speed at any given height is known. The direction should be tangent to the circle until contact is lost. I've thought about it a few ways but none seem correct.

I don't know why this seemingly simple problem is so tricky for me.

Any hints will be appreciated (full solutions will not be appreciated)

Physics news on Phys.org
Nathanael said:

Homework Statement

"A boy is initially seated on the top of a hemispherical ice mound of radius R = 13.8 m. He begins to slide down the ice, with a negligible initial speed. Approximate the ice as being frictionless. At what height does the boy lose contact with the ice?"

2. The attempt at a solution
I don't have much of a solution attempt. I know that the boy's speed at any given height is known. The direction should be tangent to the circle until contact is lost. I've thought about it a few ways but none seem correct.

I don't know why this seemingly simple problem is so tricky for me.

Any hints will be appreciated (full solutions will not be appreciated)
How would you solve for the boy's motion if he were constrained to maintain contact with the surface ?

SammyS said:
How would you solve for the boy's motion if he were constrained to maintain contact with the surface ?

[itex]V_x=cos(θ)\sqrt{2gh}[/itex]
[itex]V_y=-sin(θ)\sqrt{2gh}[/itex]

[itex]V_x[/itex] is horizontal velocity [itex]V_y[/itex] is vertical velocity

This only applies to a quarter of a circle (from 90° to 0°) but that's all that's relevant (as far as I can tell).

You need to draw a free body diagram, and then you need to do a force balance on the boy, resolving the forces into components in the radial and tangential directions. The radial force balance will give you your answer.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
You need to draw a free body diagram, and then you need to do a force balance on the boy, resolving the forces into components in the radial and tangential directions. The radial force balance will give you your answer.

Chet

But I don't know what radial force is required to move in the circle because the velocity is not constant, and so [itex]F_c=\frac{mv^2}{R}[/itex] doesn't apply.

What forces are acting on the boy as it slips down the sphere ?

Consider an instant where the line joining the boy with the center of the sphere makes an angle ##\theta## with the vertical .What is the component of force in radial direction ? Write force equation in radial direction.

Tanya Sharma said:
What forces are acting on the boy as it slips down the sphere ?

Consider an instant where the line joining the boy with the center of the sphere makes an angle ##\theta## with the vertical .What is the component of force in radial direction ? Write force equation in radial direction.

There would be the force of gravity and the normal force.

The component of gravity in the radial direction would be equal to [itex]mgsin(θ)[/itex] which would equal the normal force.Edit: My θ was to the horizontal. I just realized you said "an angle θ with the vertical" so for your θ it would be [itex]mgcos(θ)[/itex]

Nathanael said:
The component of gravity in the radial direction would be equal to [itex]mgsin(θ)[/itex] which would equal the normal force.

Edit: My θ was to the horizontal. I just realized you said "an angle θ with the vertical" so for your θ it would be [itex]mgcos(θ)[/itex]

Yes.I would suggest you to work with the vertical angle rather than horizontal.

If the two forces were equal there would be no acceleration towards the center .Do you think this is the case ?

Last edited:
Nathanael said:
But I don't know what radial force is required to move in the circle because the velocity is not constant, and so [itex]F_c=\frac{mv^2}{R}[/itex] doesn't apply.
That is the radial force needed: [itex]\displaystyle \ F_c=\frac{mv^2}{R}[/itex]

Tanya suggests what supplies that force.

Tanya Sharma said:
Yes.I would suggest you to work with angle with the vertical rather than horizontal.

If the two forces were equal there would be no acceleration towards the center .Do you think this is the case ?
Ahh, yes, I wasn't really thinking... But I just run into the same problem as before: I don't know the necessary net radial force to move in a circle at a non-constant speed

SammyS said:
That is the radial force needed: [itex]\displaystyle \ F_c=\frac{mv^2}{R}[/itex]

Tanya suggests what supplies that force.

How? I was taught that equation applies ONLY with constant speed (and constant radius of course)

Nathanael said:
Ahh, yes, I wasn't really thinking... But I just run into the same problem as before: I don't know the necessary net radial force to move in a circle at a non-constant speed

1) What is the component of mg towards the center ?
2) What is the component of N towards the center ?
3) How do you write the sum of the two ?
4) The net unbalanced force calculated in part 3) is what supplies the centripetal acceleration i.e you equate it to mv2/R .

Tanya Sharma said:
4) The net unbalanced force calculated in part 3) is what supplies the centripetal acceleration i.e you equate it to mv2/R .

Yes I've understood this but my problem has been that the equation [itex]\frac{mv^2}{R}[/itex] should NOT apply... Because that is the equation for acceleration of circular motion at a CONSTANT velocity, which is not the case in this situation

Nathanael said:

How? I was taught that equation applies ONLY with constant speed (and constant radius of course)
Actually it always applies for the radial component of acceleration. For uniform circular acceleration, the tangential component is zero, so the magnitude of the acceleration is the centripetal acceleration.

The formula for radial acceleration turns out to be very useful for finding the radius of curvature for particle motion in 3 dimensions (or simply curves in 3-D)), such as encountered in multi-variable calculus.

Likes 1 person
SammyS said:
Actually it always applies for the radial component of acceleration. For uniform circular acceleration, the tangential component is zero, so the magnitude of the acceleration is the centripetal acceleration.

Interesting, I never knew this!

So we have:

[itex]mgsin(θ)=\frac{mv^2}{R}[/itex]

and:

[itex]\frac{mv^2}{2}=mg(R-h)[/itex]

and:

[itex]h=Rsin(θ)[/itex]

Putting it all together you get:

[itex]sin(θ)=2/3[/itex]

Which means:

[itex]h=\frac{2R}{3}=9.2[/itex]

Which is the correct answer. Thank you all very much

1. What factors affect the loss of contact when sliding down a sphere of ice?

The main factors that affect the loss of contact when sliding down a sphere of ice are the angle of the slope, the speed of the slide, the friction between the ice and the surface, and the weight and shape of the sliding object.

2. At what angle does the loss of contact typically occur when sliding down a sphere of ice?

The angle at which the loss of contact occurs varies depending on the factors mentioned above. Generally, it occurs at steeper angles when the surface is smoother and there is less friction. However, it can also occur at shallower angles if the speed of the slide is high enough.

3. How does the weight and shape of the sliding object affect the loss of contact on a sphere of ice?

The weight and shape of the sliding object play a significant role in determining the point at which the loss of contact occurs. Heavier objects will have a lower center of mass and are more likely to maintain contact with the surface for longer. The shape of the object also affects the distribution of weight and can impact the point at which the loss of contact occurs.

4. Can the loss of contact be predicted when sliding down a sphere of ice?

While there are mathematical models and equations that can estimate the point of loss of contact, it is challenging to predict accurately. Many variables, such as surface conditions and the exact shape and weight of the sliding object, can impact the outcome. The best way to determine the point of loss of contact is through experimentation and observation.

5. Is the loss of contact more likely to occur on a sphere of ice compared to other surfaces?

Yes, the loss of contact is more likely to occur on a sphere of ice compared to other surfaces. This is because ice has a lower coefficient of friction, meaning there is less resistance to sliding. Additionally, the curved surface of a sphere increases the likelihood of the object losing contact compared to a flat surface.