1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for t and h when both are unknown.

1. Sep 2, 2010 #1
    Okay, so this question has really gotten under my skin.

"An object falls a distance h from rest. If it travels 0.51h in the last 1.00 s, find (a) the time and (b) the height of its fall."

I have some groundwork laid out: a=-g, h=.5gt^2, and that between two points 1 second apart the average velocity is .51h(m/s). The only problem is I end up with equations that are in terms of unknowns 't' and 'h'. I know I lam probably missing something painfully obvious, and I'd appreciate any help I can get. Also, if it's not to much trouble, some hints versus the actual solution would be appreciated. (I'd like to do as much as possible, how else can I learn?)
    Thanks in Advance - David

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2010 #2
    Divide the falling time in two, so that it takes t1 seconds to fall the first part and t2=1sec to fall the last part. Then you can give an expression for the velocity at the start of the last part use this combined with the acceleration to make a formula for the distance travelled during the last part and equate that formula with the known height (0.51h) that is travelled during the last part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook