1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freefall with unknown designation of length

1. Aug 31, 2008 #1
    An object falls a distance h from rest. If it travels 0.42h in the last 1.00 s, find (a) the time and (b) the height of its fall.

so I know a=-g

and I believe I need to use v= v0 + at to some extent.

I also believe that they are trying to say that in the last 1s of the fall it traveled 42% of the total distance.

however because a=-9.8m/s/s and I am given "h" and not m I do not know how to incorporate that into the equation.

Greatly of appreciative of any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2008 #2
    Don't worry about the signs in the equations you'll have to use since it FALLS h and so you'd be aswell saying everything downward is positive.

The way i've done this is a bit longwinded but... hopefully useful...

You need also the equation,

s = ut + \frac{1}{2}at^2,
    where u is the initial velocity and s the distance fallen.

You have an equation for its overall journey where s = h, u = 0 and a = g.
    You have an equation for the last second where s = 0.42h, a = g, t = 1.
    You can work out u for the last second of the journey using u = v_0 + at = g(t-1) where t in this equation is the total time and you minus the last second of journey.

The first equation can be used then with the second equation (since we have worked out u from the third equation) to find t (might mean using the quadratic formula), then you use this in the first to find h.

You hadn't a reply yet and i thought it interesting so i had a go myself... just have a go at following what i've said through and hopefully it all works.
  4. Sep 1, 2008 #3
    Loonychune, thank you so much you've been of great help.

so to solve

Eqn1. h=(1/2)at2

Eqn2. .42h=(1/2)(9.8)(1)2 + u

Eqn3. u=(9.8)(t-1)

plugging 3 into 2 we get h= (-4.9 + 9.8t)/.42

plugging 2 into 1 we get 4.9t2 + -23.3333t + 11.6667=0

the only good root is t= 4.19415 s as our total fall time

so plugging t in for eqn1. h=86.21 m
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?