Why ask for tan γ in terms of ratios d/l and h/l instead of d and h

  • Thread starter Thread starter Expat09
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Block
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Expat09
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
This is more a question about how the problem is written, rather than a question about how to do the problem

vmUrc.jpg


Why do they ask for tan γ in terms of d/l and h/l, rather than d and h? Is there some relation that I'm just not seeing? I'm pretty sure I know how to do the problem in terms of d and h, but the d/l and h/l terms are throwing me off
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Expat09.

If you look at all the rest of the terms, all of them are dimensionless. By this I mean, they have no units.

[itex]\theta[/itex] is in radians, which are dimensionless
[itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] are just constants to scale h and l.

Therefore, to make h and d dimensionless, the author chose a common length, l, to make it so there are no units for d/l and h/l.

Does this help at all?