1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Solving for temperature and volume of Dietrici Equation

1. Oct 27, 2016 #1
    Hi, guys! I came across hard stuff today. I really hope you can help a poor little worm like me. How do you solve for v & T correspondingly for equation like this⇒p = [RT/(v-b)]e^(a/vRT)?
    What's the technique? How do you call it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

The exponential can be expanded (Taylor series) ## e^x=1+x +x^2/2+... =1+x ## for small ## x ## . Normally, iterative techniques work well in solving this type of equation. To first order ## v=RT/p ##, etc. You take this ## v ## and write out the solution for ## v ## on the left with higher order terms on the right side of the equation. Then you get an improved answer for ## v ## and cycle it around again, etc. Also ## v-b=v(1-b/v) ## etc. The ## 1/(1-b/v) ## can stay on the right side and bring the ## v ## to the left...You can even write ##1/(1-b/v)=1+(b/v)+(b/v)^2+(b/v)^3+... ##. (i.e. a geometric series ## 1+r+r^2+r^3+...=1/(1-r)) ##.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted