Solving for temperature and volume of Dietrici Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for v and T in a given equation, with the technique involving expanding the exponential using Taylor series and using iterative techniques. The solution for v is improved through cycling and the equation can also be written in terms of a geometric series.
Riverbirdy
Hi, guys! I came across hard stuff today. I really hope you can help a poor little worm like me. How do you solve for v & T correspondingly for equation like this⇒p = [RT/(v-b)]e^(a/vRT)?
What's the technique? How do you call it?

Science news on Phys.org
The exponential can be expanded (Taylor series) ## e^x=1+x +x^2/2+... =1+x ## for small ## x ## . Normally, iterative techniques work well in solving this type of equation. To first order ## v=RT/p ##, etc. You take this ## v ## and write out the solution for ## v ## on the left with higher order terms on the right side of the equation. Then you get an improved answer for ## v ## and cycle it around again, etc. Also ## v-b=v(1-b/v) ## etc. The ## 1/(1-b/v) ## can stay on the right side and bring the ## v ## to the left...You can even write ##1/(1-b/v)=1+(b/v)+(b/v)^2+(b/v)^3+... ##. (i.e. a geometric series ## 1+r+r^2+r^3+...=1/(1-r)) ##.

Last edited:

1. What is the Dietrici Equation?

The Dietrici Equation is a mathematical formula used to describe the relationship between the temperature and volume of a gas at a constant pressure. It is represented as V = k/T, where V is the volume, T is the temperature, and k is a constant value.

2. How is the Dietrici Equation used to solve for temperature and volume?

To solve for temperature and volume using the Dietrici Equation, you will need to know the value of the constant k, as well as the pressure of the gas. Once you have this information, you can rearrange the equation to solve for either temperature or volume.

3. Can the Dietrici Equation be used for any type of gas?

Yes, the Dietrici Equation can be used for any type of gas as long as the pressure remains constant. This means that it can be applied to both ideal and non-ideal gases.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Dietrici Equation?

The Dietrici Equation assumes that the pressure of the gas remains constant, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it does not take into account factors such as intermolecular forces and the size of gas particles, so it may not be accurate for gases under extreme conditions.

5. How is the Dietrici Equation related to the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law (PV = nRT) is a more general form of the Dietrici Equation, where n is the number of moles and R is the gas constant. The Ideal Gas Law can be derived from the Dietrici Equation by incorporating the concepts of pressure and number of moles.