Solving for Theta, wolfram doesn't give anything useful

• Thread starter physstudent.4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theta
In summary, the student was trying to find a function that takes theta as a input and outputs b, but was unsuccessful and ended up using a trig equation that was much more complicated to solve than he originally thought.
physstudent.4

Homework Statement

I need to write a function of theta in terms of a particular variable. I just can't seem to figure it out; the only solution I can come up with is when the aforementioned variable is equal to 0 or 1. I'm using Q to denote theta, and b is the variable.

sin^3(Q)/cos(Q)=b^2

Homework Equations

Any and all trig identities.
I've used sin^2(x)+cos^(x)=1, sin(2x)=2sin(x)cos(x), I haven't stumbled into any work that led me to use other identities!

The Attempt at a Solution

Around 5 pages of scratch work, all for naught.
Any relevant trig identities I might be missing would be nice to know, if anyone figures this out soon! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
physstudent.4 said:

Homework Statement

I need to write a function of theta in terms of a particular variable. I just can't seem to figure it out; the only solution I can come up with is when the aforementioned variable is equal to 0 or 1. I'm using Q to denote theta, and b is the variable.

sin^3(Q)/cos(Q)=b^2

Homework Equations

Any and all trig identities.
I've used sin^2(x)+cos^(x)=1, sin(2x)=2sin(x)cos(x), I haven't stumbled into any work that led me to use other identities!

The Attempt at a Solution

Around 5 pages of scratch work, all for naught.
Any relevant trig identities I might be missing would be nice to know, if anyone figures this out soon! Thanks!

sin3(θ)/cos(θ) = 1/(cot(θ)csc2(θ)) = 1/(cot(θ)+cot3(θ))

but I don't think this will help all that much.

You can reduce it to a polynomial equation. Square both sides. Replace cos(Q)^2 by 1-sin(Q)^2. Now let P=sin(Q)^2. You'll get a cubic equation in P. You CAN solve a cubic exactly, but the solutions are so complicated as to be almost useless. You will have a little advantage here because there is no P^2 term. But it's still pretty complicated. Stuff like this is usually handled numerically, not analytically.

What is "Solving for Theta"?

"Solving for Theta" refers to finding the value of the angle theta in a mathematical equation or problem. Theta is often used to represent angles in geometry and trigonometry.

Why is wolfram not giving any useful information for solving for theta?

Wolfram is a computational knowledge engine that can provide solutions and information for a wide range of math and science problems. However, it may not always provide the most helpful or relevant information for solving a specific problem. It is important to use multiple resources and approaches when trying to solve for theta.

What are some common methods for solving for theta?

Some common methods for solving for theta include using trigonometric identities and equations, using the law of sines and cosines, and using geometric properties and theorems such as the Pythagorean theorem.

Can solving for theta be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, solving for theta can be applied to real-world situations in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. For example, it can be used to calculate the angle of elevation of a satellite or the angle of a ramp for a wheelchair-accessible entrance.

Are there any online resources or tools specifically for solving for theta?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools specifically designed for solving for theta and other mathematical problems. Some examples include math problem-solving websites like Mathway and online calculators like Desmos and Symbolab.