Solving for time with these variables

In summary, the person is having trouble with math and is trying to solve an equation for how long it takes in seconds for an object to go from impact velocity to final velocity. They are stuck on where to add in the gravity force. Background: the person is in college physics and also in high school math, so they are familiar with the concepts of kinematics and equations.
JazzMasterKC
Ok, I think I'm missing some math knowledge and is to why I can't solve this.. or maybe I'm just burnt out for the day.. However here is the situation:

Mass = 0.06kg
Impact Velocity = 7.34m/s
Final Velocity = 0m/s
Displacement from impact velocity and final = 0.099m
Acceleration = 9.8 m/s/s (gravity)

I need to figure how long it takes in seconds for when the object went from impact velocity to final. Where I'm stuck is where do I through gravity in an equation? I can figure this out without the gravity but for some reason it's tripping me up.

Background: I really like physics, and this is extra apart from the assignment (I'm curious).. I'm in high school physics and also in college algebra.

~ Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
JazzMasterKC said:
Ok, I think I'm missing some math knowledge and is to why I can't solve this.. or maybe I'm just burnt out for the day.. However here is the situation:

Mass = 0.06kg
Impact Velocity = 7.34m/s
Final Velocity = 0m/s
Displacement from impact velocity and final = 0.099m
Acceleration = 9.8 m/s/s (gravity)

I need to figure how long it takes in seconds for when the object went from impact velocity to final. Where I'm stuck is where do I through gravity in an equation? I can figure this out without the gravity but for some reason it's tripping me up.

Background: I really like physics, and this is extra apart from the assignment (I'm curious).. I'm in high school physics and also in college algebra.

~ Thanks
This is a good question, but since you have the displacement and velocities given, you can solve for the time using one or more of the kinematic motion equations. There is no need at this point to look at gravity, since its effects on the deceleration during impact have already been incorporated into the given values based on the data. Gravity forces would come in later when you looked at impact forces.

Ah I see, thanks!

1. How do you solve for time using variables?

To solve for time using variables, you need to have at least two other variables (such as distance and speed) and an equation that relates them. Then, you can rearrange the equation to solve for time by isolating the time variable on one side of the equation.

2. What are the most common variables used in time equations?

The most common variables used in time equations are distance, speed, and acceleration. These variables are often used in equations related to motion and can help determine the time it takes for an object to move a certain distance or change its speed.

3. Can you solve for time without knowing all the variables?

It is possible to solve for time without knowing all the variables, but you will need to have at least two other variables and an equation relating them. However, the accuracy of the solution may be affected if you do not have all the necessary information.

4. How do you know which equation to use when solving for time with multiple variables?

The equation you use to solve for time will depend on the situation and what information you have available. For example, if you know the distance and speed, you can use the equation time = distance/speed. If you know the initial and final velocities, you can use the equation time = (final velocity - initial velocity)/acceleration.

5. Can you solve for time in different units?

Yes, you can solve for time using different units as long as the units are consistent throughout the equation. For example, if distance is given in meters and speed is given in meters per second, the time will be in seconds. However, if you are given different units, you may need to convert them to the appropriate units before solving for time.