1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for unknown in arccos equation help?

1. Aug 10, 2011 #1
    I need help with the following, is it possible to get the below equation into a form like:

THETA = 30a

or somehow get the 'a' on the left hand side?

Equation:

THETA = arccos(1 - 0.005a)

Those aren't the exact numbers/arrangement I'm working with but any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2011 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

It would be better if you posted the original problem instead of using numbers and/or an arrangement that isn't exact. Are you trying to solve for a? If so, as long as you're mindful of the domain/range restrictions, why can't you take the cosine of both sides?

4. Aug 10, 2011 #3
    Sorry it is a bit hard to post the entire problem as this is only part of quite a large engineering question.

Photo 10-08-11 10 15 49 PM (HDR).jpeg

From the above the unknown is 'x' which is what I want to solve for (again I have skipped out a lot of the working that is irrelevant to you).

If I substitute in THETA to the area 'A' equation then put that into the equation on the bottom I get a huge awful looking equation, only the one unknown but I just don't know how to solve for it. Any guidance please?

5. Aug 10, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You're starting with cos([itex]\theta/2[/itex]) = (150 - .77x)/150.
    You solved for [itex]\theta/2[/itex], but didn't solve for x.

To isolate x (i.e., solve for x), multiply both sides of the original equation by 150. Then add -150 to both sides. Finally, divide both sides by -.77 to get x all by itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook