Solving Horizontal Rifle Bullet Gravity Problem

In summary, a rifle is fired at a bull's-eye with a muzzle speed of 785 m/s. Despite it being aimed directly at the center, the bullet strikes 0.029 m below the center. Using kinematic equations, the horizontal distance between the end of the rifle and the bull's-eye can be found by solving for time and plugging it into the horizontal distance equation.
nasjo30

Homework Statement

A horizontal rifle is fired at a bull's-eye. The muzzle speed of the bullet is 785 m/s. The barrel is pointed directly at the center of the bull's-eye, but the bullet strikes the target 0.029 m below the center. What is the horizontal distance between the end of the rifle and the bull's-eye?

Homework Equations

Kinematic Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried creating a right triangle with the data but it didn't work and now I am frustrated.

Physics news on Phys.org
use the equation delta d = v(i)t + .5at^2

delta h (vertical) = .5at^2 where a is -9.81 m/s^2 [since v(i) in the vertical direction is 0)

-.029 = (.5)(-9.81)t^2

t=?

so you can solve for time and plug it into the equation again to get horizontal distance, right?

delta d (horizontal) = v(i)t [note, there is no acceleration in the horizontal direction)

where v(i) 785 m/s

I understand your frustration when trying to solve a problem and not getting the desired result. However, I would suggest taking a step back and approaching the problem in a systematic manner. First, we need to identify the relevant equations that can help us solve this problem. In this case, the kinematic equations, which relate the initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and displacement, can be used to solve for the horizontal distance.

Let's start by writing down the given information. We know that the muzzle speed of the bullet (v0) is 785 m/s and the bullet strikes the target 0.029 m below the center (Δy = -0.029 m). We also know that the bullet is fired horizontally, so there is no initial vertical velocity (v0y = 0) and the acceleration due to gravity (g) is acting only in the vertical direction.

Now, we can use the kinematic equation for displacement in the y-direction (Δy = v0yt + 1/2at^2) to solve for the time (t) it takes for the bullet to reach the target. Plugging in the known values, we get -0.029 m = 0 + 1/2(-9.8 m/s^2)t^2. Solving for t, we get t = 0.024 seconds.

Next, we can use the kinematic equation for displacement in the x-direction (Δx = v0xt) to solve for the horizontal distance (Δx) between the rifle and the bull's-eye. Plugging in the known values, we get Δx = (785 m/s)(0.024 s) = 18.84 m.

Therefore, the horizontal distance between the end of the rifle and the bull's-eye is approximately 18.84 meters. I hope this approach helps you in solving the problem. Remember, taking a systematic and logical approach is key in solving scientific problems.

1. How does gravity affect horizontal rifle bullet trajectory?

Gravity affects the trajectory of a horizontal rifle bullet by pulling it towards the ground over time. This causes the bullet to drop from its initial horizontal path and follow a curved path towards the ground.

2. How can I calculate the effect of gravity on a horizontal bullet shot?

To calculate the effect of gravity on a horizontal bullet shot, you can use the basic equation of projectile motion: d = v*t + 1/2*a*t^2. In this equation, d is the horizontal distance traveled, v is the initial velocity of the bullet, t is the time since the shot, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. Why is understanding horizontal bullet trajectory important for shooting accuracy?

Understanding horizontal bullet trajectory is important for shooting accuracy because it allows you to adjust your aim and account for the drop of the bullet over long distances. Without this knowledge, it is difficult to accurately hit a target at a distance.

4. How does air resistance affect the horizontal trajectory of a bullet?

Air resistance can slightly affect the horizontal trajectory of a bullet by slowing it down and causing it to drop faster. However, this effect is minimal over short distances and is usually only significant for long-range shots.

5. Can the horizontal rifle bullet gravity problem be solved with a simple formula?

There is no one-size-fits-all formula for solving the horizontal rifle bullet gravity problem. It requires understanding the basic principles of projectile motion and using equations to calculate the effects of gravity, air resistance, and other variables on the bullet's trajectory. However, there are calculators and tools available online that can assist in these calculations.