Find the average force exerted on a bullet by a rifle

In summary, a rifle with a mass of 4.0kg shoots a 10g bullet at a speed of 800m/s. The rifle is stationary when the trigger is pulled and the bullet is in contact with the rifle for 35ms. To find the average force exerted on the bullet by the rifle, one can divide the impulse by time. However, without attempting the calculation, it is uncertain if the resulting force will be high enough.
Emmerus Yiis

Homework Statement

A rifleman is shooting at a target at a firing range. The rifle has a mass of 4.0kg. When the gun's trigger is pulled, a bullet of mass of 10g will exit the rifle's barrel at a speed of 800m/s. The rifle is stationary at the instant the trigger is pulled.
Given that the rifle and the bullet were in contact for 35ms, find the average force exerted on the bullet by the rifle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking dividing the impulse by time, but I don't think the force is high enough. Otherwise I have no idea as to how to solve this.
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Emmerus Yiis said:

Homework Statement

A rifleman is shooting at a target at a firing range. The rifle has a mass of 4.0kg. When the gun's trigger is pulled, a bullet of mass of 10g will exit the rifle's barrel at a speed of 800m/s. The rifle is stationary at the instant the trigger is pulled.
Given that the rifle and the bullet were in contact for 35ms, find the average force exerted on the bullet by the rifle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking dividing the impulse by time, but I don't think the force is high enough. Otherwise I have no idea as to how to solve this. [/B]
You won't know until you try.

1. How is the average force exerted on a bullet by a rifle calculated?

The average force exerted on a bullet by a rifle is calculated by dividing the muzzle energy of the bullet by the time it takes for the bullet to travel from the barrel of the rifle to the target.

2. What is the muzzle energy of a bullet?

The muzzle energy of a bullet is the amount of kinetic energy the bullet has when it leaves the rifle's barrel.

3. How is the time it takes for a bullet to travel from the rifle to the target determined?

The time it takes for a bullet to travel from the rifle to the target is determined by measuring the distance between the rifle and the target, and dividing it by the velocity of the bullet.

4. What factors can affect the average force exerted on a bullet by a rifle?

The average force exerted on a bullet by a rifle can be affected by factors such as the weight and velocity of the bullet, the length of the barrel, and the type of propellant used in the rifle.

5. How can the average force exerted on a bullet by a rifle be used in practical applications?

The average force exerted on a bullet by a rifle can be used in practical applications such as ballistics testing, firearm design, and understanding the potential damage caused by a bullet on impact.