Solving inequalities algebraically, when root is 0

In summary: If the numerator is negative and the denominator is positive, the sign of the expression will be positive. If the numerator is positive and the denominator is negative, the sign of the expression will be negative.
supernova1203

Homework Statement

Solve each inequality without graphing the corresponding function.

State the solution algebraically and graph on a number line:

x/x2-9≤0

so i factor out the denominator and get (x+3)(x-3) the root here is zero, but for some reason in the chart (for rational/reciprocal functions) they seem to treat the vertical asymptotes (x=-3, x=3) as root as well... so really instead of having 1 root, of 0, you now have what look like 3 roots, at x=0, x=-3, x=+3

Now I've only learned how to solve inequalities algebraically this morning from this very helpful youtube video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9dzsIxcI-o&list=FLU9AMIFm9OGP9S3RGgO_hjw&index=1

and according to this 'method' which i like VERY much...i keep getting the wrong answer/sum for the positives/negative intervals if the zero is equal to 0the book already shows me what the solution is i just don't know how to deal with these roots of 0 in situations like these, can anyone help?
anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
for zero solution mark zero on the number line and proceed

altamashghazi said:
for zero solution mark zero on the number line and proceed

oh hey...i think your right...even if just move in the general direction it will tell me weather or not its positive or negative...

and then i can multiply all the postives/negatives and determine weather the graph in that interval is above 0 or below 0

thanks

supernova1203 said:

Homework Statement

Solve each inequality without graphing the corresponding function.

State the solution algebraically and graph on a number line:

x/x2-9≤0
You have written your algebraic expression incorrectly.

x/x2-9 is technically equivalent to [itex]\displaystyle \ \frac{x}{x^2}-9\ [/itex] which is [itex]\displaystyle \ \frac{1}{x}-9\ .[/itex]

You need to use parentheses and write x/(x2-9) which is [itex]\displaystyle \ \frac{x}{x^2-9}\ .[/itex]
so i factor out the denominator and get (x+3)(x-3) the root here is zero, but for some reason in the chart (for rational/reciprocal functions) they seem to treat the vertical asymptotes (x=-3, x=3) as root as well... so really instead of having 1 root, of 0, you now have what look like 3 roots, at x=0, x=-3, x=+3

Now I've only learned how to solve inequalities algebraically this morning from this very helpful youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9dzsIxcI-o&list=FLU9AMIFm9OGP9S3RGgO_hjw&index=1

and according to this 'method' which i like VERY much...i keep getting the wrong answer/sum for the positives/negative intervals if the zero is equal to 0

the book already shows me what the solution is i just don't know how to deal with these roots of 0 in situations like these, can anyone help?

anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)
For a rational expression, the critical points are the roots of the numerator together with the roots of the denominator.

This is because the sign of a rational expression will change if either the numerator or denominator changes sign.

What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It shows that one quantity is greater than, less than, or equal to the other quantity.

What does it mean to solve an inequality algebraically?

Solving an inequality algebraically involves manipulating the inequality using algebraic operations to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign. The solution is the range of values that satisfy the inequality.

Why is it important to consider the root when solving an inequality?

The root, or the point where the graph of the inequality crosses the x-axis, is significant because it divides the number line into two regions: the solution region and the non-solution region. It helps determine the direction of the inequality symbol and the values that satisfy the inequality.

What does it mean when the root of an inequality is 0?

If the root of an inequality is 0, it means that the inequality is in the form of x < 0 or x > 0. This indicates that the solution region is either all real numbers less than 0 or all real numbers greater than 0, depending on the direction of the inequality symbol.

How do I graph a solution to an inequality when the root is 0?

To graph a solution when the root is 0, first plot the root on the number line. Then, depending on the direction of the inequality symbol, shade the solution region to the left or right of the root. If the inequality is in the form of x < 0, shade to the left; if the inequality is in the form of x > 0, shade to the right. The solution region will be all real numbers in the shaded region.