1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving integral using residue theorem

1. Dec 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the value of ∫ x^2/(((x^2 + 4)^2)(x^2+9)) dx. With the limits from 0 to infinity.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that this is an even function so we can calculate the value of the integral from -∞ to ∞ and just divide by 2. The upper half plane singularities are 3i and 2i and 2i. I calculated the residue for 3i, but couldn't figure out a way to calculate it for 2i. I tried to take the derivate of the denominator, but if you plug in 2i into that, you would get 0. I tried other ways, but they only resulted in negative answers. Is there a way that I'm not thinking of to find the residue at 2i? Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

The pole at ##z = 2i## is not a simple pole, so you have to use the residue formula for nth order poles. If a function f(z) has a pole of order n at z0, then

$$Res(f,z_0) = \lim_{z\rightarrow z_0} \frac{1}{(n-1)!} \frac{d^{n-1}}{dz^{n-1}}\left[(z-z_0)^n f(z) \right]$$

4. Dec 6, 2012 #3
    It's a 2nd order pole. I took the derivative of h(x) = f(x)*(x-2i)^2. Then h(2i)=-13 * i / 200. Is that right?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  5. Dec 6, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it is. Well done!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook