Solving Laplacian Equation Analytically

• Thread starter Harmony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laplacian
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a 2D steady state heat equation with a square boundary where one side is maintained at 100 C and the other sides at 0 C. The suggested approach is to use the laplacian equation and guess that the solution is the product of two independent variables. The next step is to plug in the proposed solution and separate variables, resulting in two differential equations. The solution is then found by applying the boundary conditions.
Harmony
I wish to solve a 2D steady state heat equation analytically. The boundary is a square. The top side is maintained at 100 C, while the other sides are maintained at 0 C.

The differential equation governing the temperature distribution will be the laplacian equation. To solve the equation analytically, I suppose we can guess that the solution is the product of the two independent variable. But how can I proceed from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Plug your proposed solution in and then separate variables. You'll find one side depends only on one variable, and the other side depends on the other. The only way the equation can work is if both sides equal some constant.

Yes, I read about that. But the problem is, there are so many possible combinations (different products of function y and function x), and how should i use the boundary condition to find the one I need?

How about writing the steady-state heat conduction equation.

Then the proposed solution, e.g., Q(x,y) = X(x)Y(y), where Q(x,y) is the function one is trying to determine.

Then right the boundary conditions, Q(0,y) = X(0) Y(y) = . . . .

Harmony said:
Yes, I read about that. But the problem is, there are so many possible combinations (different products of function y and function x), and how should i use the boundary condition to find the one I need?
You don't choose the specific functions beforehand, if that's what you're confused about. After you separate the variables, you'll have two differential equations. You solve those to find the actual forms of X(x) and Y(y), and then apply the boundary conditions.

1. What is the Laplacian equation and why is it important?

The Laplacian equation, also known as the Laplace equation, is a second-order partial differential equation that appears in many areas of mathematics and physics. It describes the behavior of a potential function in a given space, and is important because it allows us to solve for the potential in a wide range of physical and engineering problems.

2. What does it mean to solve the Laplacian equation analytically?

Solving the Laplacian equation analytically means finding a mathematical expression, or formula, that describes the solution to the equation. This is in contrast to numerical methods, which use algorithms and computer programs to approximate the solution.

3. Can the Laplacian equation be solved for any given space?

Yes, the Laplacian equation can be solved for any space that satisfies certain conditions. These conditions include the existence of a continuous potential function and the appropriate boundary conditions.

4. What are some techniques for solving the Laplacian equation analytically?

Some common techniques for solving the Laplacian equation analytically include separation of variables, the method of images, and the method of Green's functions. Each technique has its own advantages and is suited for different types of problems.

5. What are the applications of solving the Laplacian equation analytically?

The Laplacian equation has a wide range of applications in physics and engineering, including electrostatics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in image processing, computer graphics, and other areas of computational mathematics.