1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Laplace equation in a hollow sphere

1. Jan 8, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the stationary temperature distribution in the hollow sphere a<r<b where r=a is kept at T1 and r=b is kept at T2.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\triangle u =0[/itex].
    But with the Laplacian in spherical coordinates.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I must solve the given equation (Laplace equation) and use the spherical expression of the Laplacian.
    My boundary conditions are [itex]u(r=a, \theta, \phi )=T1[/itex] and [itex]u(r=b, \theta, \phi )=T2[/itex]. However I'm not sure this information is enough. I don't know how to mathematically describe the fact that the "sphere" is finite and therefore ends for r outside of [a,b].
    I've found a document on the Internet treating a similar problem (with a normal sphere), but when I try to follow every steps, I'm stuck at one.
    I attach the document to this post.
    The right hand side of equation 6 is [itex]\frac{\lambda}{\sin \theta }[/itex]. But to me it looks like equation 6 is equation 4 divided by [itex]\sin ^2 \theta[/itex], so that the right hand side of equation 6 should be [itex]\frac{\lambda}{\sin ^2 \theta }[/itex]. The author then continues the document with [itex]\frac{\lambda}{\sin \theta }[/itex].
    How did he reach this?!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are making this way too complicated. Your boundary conditions aren't a function of the two angles. They are only a function of r. I think you just have to solve the radial equation in the separation of variables problem.

4. Jan 8, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

He made a mistake, but he undoes it when he gets to equation (10).

5. Jan 9, 2012 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok guys thank you very much.
    Shouldn't I also solve the azimuthal equation to get that [itex]\mu =n(n+1)[/itex] where n is an integer?
    Because without doing it, solving only the radial equation I get [itex]f(r)=c_1 r^{-\frac{1}{2}} \ln (r)+c_2 r^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] for [itex]\mu =-1/4[/itex].
    [itex]f(r)=c_1 r^{-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{\sqrt{1-4\mu }}{2}}+c_2 r^{-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{\sqrt{1-4\mu }}{2}}[/itex] if [itex]\mu >-1/4[/itex].
    And [itex]f(r)=c_1 r^{-\frac{1}{2}} \cos \left ( \frac{\sqrt{1-4\mu }}{2} \ln (r) \right )+c_2 r^{-\frac{1}{2}} \sin \left ( \frac{\sqrt{1-4\mu }}{2} \ln (r) \right )[/itex] if [itex]\mu <-1/4[/itex].
    Now if I cheat and look into the document, [itex]f(r)=c_1r^n[/itex].

6. Jan 9, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

As Dick mentioned, the problem has spherical symmetry, so the solution can depend only on r. In particular, that means the derivatives with respect to θ or φ vanish.

How did you get this? What was the radial equation you solved?

7. Jan 9, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take the angular parts to be constant. That means taking n (and hence mu) to be zero.

8. Jan 9, 2012 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hmm ok guys, not so sure what I must solve.
    What I solved (I think I made a sign mistake for the solution when [itex]\mu <-1/4[/itex] for the cos and sin arguments) was [itex]\frac{1}{f} \frac{d}{dr} (r^2 f')=cste=\mu[/itex]. I reached the Euler-Cauchy equation [itex]r^2f''+2rf'-\mu f=0[/itex]. I solved this equation via wikipedia's method (assuming a solution of the form [itex]f(r)=r^\alpha[/itex]).
    Now if I understand well, you are telling me to solve [itex]r^2f''+2rf'=0[/itex]?

9. Jan 9, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. Set mu=0.

10. Jan 9, 2012 #9

fluidistic

Gold Member

In this case I used reduction of order (substitution v=f') and reached [itex]f(r)=\frac{c}{r}[/itex]. I checked out if this satisfies mathematically the DE and it does. However I see that when r tends to 0 there's a big problem.
    P.S.: Anyway r cannot tend to 0 but to a as a lower limit, according to the problem. Unless a tends to 0 also.

11. Jan 9, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is another solution as well as c/r. You'd expect there to be since it's a second order equation and you'll need a second solution to fit your two boundary conditions. You could have just substituted f(r)=r^n and figured out what values of n work, like you did before. BTW you might notice that c/r is the form for the potential of a charge located at the origin. It's not an accident. The potential due to a distribution of charge also satisfies the Laplace equation outside of the region of charge.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  12. Jan 9, 2012 #11

fluidistic

Gold Member

I reach n or alpha equal to -1 or 0. So [itex]f(r)=c_1+c_2r^{-1}[/itex]. I'm not very confident in that solution but it looks like it is a solution at first glance.
    Hmm about your comment of the analogy with electrostatics... Is it like if the heat source was the center of the hollow sphere? If so, I don't really understand the analogy. In my case I thought it was both outer and inner surfaces of the hollow sphere that were the "heat sources", not a point in the middle. But is it equivalent to the heat source in the center of the hollow sphere? I think yes now... wow.

13. Jan 9, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you've got the solution. Now you just need to find c1 and c2. And I wouldn't push the electrostatics analogy too hard. Lots of things have a steady state solution involving Laplace's equation. It's sort of an energy minimizing thing. My point was that you shouldn't be too surprised that c/r is a spherically symmetric solution to Laplace's equation in 3 dimensions.

14. Jan 10, 2012 #13

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok thanks a lot Dick.
    Is it right to say that [itex]u(r, \theta, \phi)=u(r)=Cf(r)[/itex]?
    If so, I reach [itex]u(r)=T_1+\frac{b(T_1-T_2)}{a-b}+\frac{ab(T_1-T_2)}{r(a-b)}[/itex].

15. Jan 10, 2012 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. u(r) is just a function of r. The general form of your solution looks ok, but check it. Put r=a and b. Do you get u(a)=T1 and u(b)=T2? I think you've left out a sign or something.

16. Jan 10, 2012 #15

fluidistic

Gold Member

I get it now, thanks for all. It was a sign mistake indeed.
    Problem solved.

17. Jan 10, 2012 #16

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hmm I can't grasp something. It seems like there's no difference if the sphere was entirely filled versus the hollow sphere, as long as r=a is kept at T1 and r=b is kept at T2. The sphere could also have an infinite radius or let's say very much bigger than r=b, yet the solution between r=a and r=b would remain unchanged. Is this correct?

Also if the sphere was totally filled and I wanted to see what is the temperature at r=0... how could I do this?

18. Jan 10, 2012 #17

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not totally sure I get you but there must be something filling the space between r=a and r=b, it doesn't particularly matter what but, sure, the temperature between a and b is determined by the temperature at a and b. It's a Laplace equation with Dirichlet boundary conditions. If you were to remove the inner boundary condition at r=a, then you tell me what the solution should be inside of r=b. It will still have the form u(r)=c1+c2/r, but now you want to say that r=0 must be a regular point of the solution, so what can you say about c2?

19. Jan 10, 2012 #18

fluidistic

Gold Member

c2 must in that case be worth 0 I think.
    So what happens outisde [a,b] has absolutely no effect on what happens in the inside of [a,b]? This is basically my doubt. I know there must be matter inside [a,b] and it looks like outside of it, nothing matters. There can be matter or not, the temperature distribution between [a,b] will remain the same.

20. Jan 10, 2012 #19

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, c2 must be zero. So the temperature distribution inside must be a constant. Isn't that kind of intuitively clear? And I'm not saying effects outside of [a,b] can't affect what happens inside of [a,b], they can. But the only way they can do that are by changing the boundary conditions on [a,b]. Putting a heat source outside of r=b may increase the temperature in [a,b], but it has to do that by raising the temperature at r=b first.

21. Jan 10, 2012 #20

fluidistic

Gold Member

I see now, thank you very much. Everything makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook