Solving \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3 + 1}

  • Thread starter Thread starter PhizKid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Infinity Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
PhizKid
Messages
477
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3 + 1}[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


[tex] \frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3 + 1} \cdot \frac{\frac{1}{x^3}}{\frac{1}{x^3}} = \\ \frac{\frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3}}{1 + \frac{1}{x^3}} =\\ \frac{(1 + \frac{1}{x^3})(\sqrt{9x^6 - x})}{x^3} = \\ \frac{(1 + \frac{1}{x^3})(\sqrt{9x^6 - x})}{x^3} \cdot \frac{\frac{1}{x^3}}{\frac{1}{x^3}} = \\ \frac{(1 + \frac{1}{x^3})(\sqrt{9x^6 - x})}{x^3}[/tex]

And it just repeats over and over again and I can't find anything to divide by without destroying the work I've already done. What am I supposed to do in a loop and there's nothing to divide by?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to keep better track of the order of calculations.. Remember that a/(b/c) ≠ (a/b)/c.
 
PhizKid said:

Homework Statement


[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3 + 1}[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


[tex] \frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3 + 1} \cdot \frac{\frac{1}{x^3}}{\frac{1}{x^3}} = \\<br /> \frac{\frac{\sqrt{9x^6 - x}}{x^3}}{1 + \frac{1}{x^3}} =\\[/tex]
The next line is not equivalent to the above.

Then use the fact that [itex]x^3=\sqrt{x^6}\ .[/itex]
[tex]\frac{(1 + \frac{1}{x^3})(\sqrt{9x^6 - x})}{x^3} = \\<br /> \frac{(1 + \frac{1}{x^3})(\sqrt{9x^6 - x})}{x^3} \cdot \frac{\frac{1}{x^3}}{\frac{1}{x^3}} = \\<br /> \frac{(1 + \frac{1}{x^3})(\sqrt{9x^6 - x})}{x^3}[/tex]

And it just repeats over and over again and I can't find anything to divide by without destroying the work I've already done. What am I supposed to do in a loop and there's nothing to divide by?