Simple Integral: Solving $\frac{dy}{dx}=\sqrt[3]{\frac{y}{x}}$ for All x

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of the given differential equation and the importance of specifying x>0 in the solution due to potential difficulties at x=0. The conversation also clarifies the relationship between x and y in the solution.
Karol
1. Homework Statement
$$\frac{dy}{dx}=\sqrt[3]{\frac{y}{x}},~x>0$$
Why do i need the x>0, indeed my result is good for all x since it contains x2
2. Homework Equations
$$\frac{dy}{dx}=f(x)~\rightarrow~dy=f(x)dx~\rightarrow~y=\int f(x)dx$$

3. The Attempt at a Solution
$$\int \frac{dy}{y^{1/3}} = \int \frac{dy}{x^{1/3}} \rightarrow y^{-1/3}=x^{-1/3}+C$$
$$\frac {1}{\sqrt[3]{y^2}}=\frac {1}{\sqrt[3]{x^2}}+C$$
$$\sqrt[3]{y^2}=\frac{\sqrt[3]{x^2}}{1+C\sqrt[3]{x^2}}$$
$$y=\frac{x^2}{(1+C\sqrt[3]{x^2})^2}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Have another go at integrating ##x^{-\frac 13}##.
(There are also several typos.)

$$\int \frac{dy}{y^{1/3}} = \int \frac{dy}{x^{1/3}} \rightarrow \int y^{-1/3}=\int x^{-1/3}+C$$
$$\int y^{-1/3}=\frac{1}{\left( -\frac{1}{3} \right)+1}y^{\left( -\frac{1}{3} \right)}=\frac{3}{2}y^{2/3}$$

Karol said:
$$\int \frac{dy}{y^{1/3}} = \int \frac{dy}{x^{1/3}} \rightarrow \int y^{-1/3}=\int x^{-1/3}+C$$
$$\int y^{-1/3}=\frac{1}{\left( -\frac{1}{3} \right)+1}y^{\left( -\frac{1}{3} \right)}=\frac{3}{2}y^{2/3}$$
Right, so what relationship do you get between x and y now?

$$y=(\sqrt[3]{x^2}+C)^3=...=x^3+3Cx\sqrt[3]{x}+3C^2\sqrt[3]{x^2}+C^3$$
Besides being so complicated, and i don't know if it's true, what's the connection to x>0?

Karol said:
$$y=(\sqrt[3]{x^2}+C)^3=...=x^3+3Cx\sqrt[3]{x}+3C^2\sqrt[3]{x^2}+C^3$$
Besides being so complicated, and i don't know if it's true, what's the connection to x>0?
I think you mean y2=x2 + etc., and you have two terms on the right with x2/3.
Looking at the original problem statement, there is clearly a difficulty at x=0. This means that the solution might be invalid if the integral is across a range including 0. I think they just specified x> 0 to avoid your having to worry about such issues.

Which 2 terms on the right are with x2/3?
$$(a+b)^3=\left( \begin{array}{m} 3 \\ 0 \end{array} \right)a^3+\left( \begin{array}{m} 3 \\ 1 \end{array} \right)a^2 b+\left( \begin{array}{m} 3 \\ 2 \end{array} \right)ab^2+\left( \begin{array}{m} 3 \\ 3 \end{array} \right)b^3$$
There is only one term with a.
Which difficulty is at x=0? is it because of ##~\int \frac{dy}{x^{1/3}}##? do i ignore ##~\int \frac{dy}{y^{1/3}}##? how do i treat it, since y≠0 too

Karol said:
Which 2 terms on the right are with x2/3?
My mistake.
Karol said:
Which difficulty is at x=0?
In the differential equation there is y/x.

Thank you very much Haruspex

1. What is a simple integral with root?

A simple integral with root is an integral that contains a square root function in the integrand. It is an integral that involves finding the area under a curve that is defined by a square root function.

2. How do you solve a simple integral with root?

The process of solving a simple integral with root involves using techniques such as substitution and integration by parts to simplify the integral and then apply the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate it. Alternatively, you can use a table of integrals to find the solution.

3. What is the importance of simple integrals with root in mathematics?

Simple integrals with root are important in mathematics as they allow us to find the area under a curve for functions that cannot be easily integrated using traditional methods. They also have applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

4. Can a simple integral with root have multiple solutions?

Yes, a simple integral with root can have multiple solutions. This is because there are often different approaches and techniques that can be used to solve the integral, resulting in different solutions.

5. How can I check if my solution to a simple integral with root is correct?

You can check the correctness of your solution by differentiating it to see if it gives back the original integrand. You can also use online integral calculators to verify your solution.