Solving linear and quadratic Trig Equations

In summary, the equation 2cos^22\Theta - cos2\Theta - 1=0 can be solved by treating it as a quadratic equation in cos(2\Theta) and using the substitution u=cos(2\Theta). The solutions are 0, \frac{\pi}{3}, \frac{2\pi}{3}, \pi, \frac{4\pi}{3}, \frac{5\pi}{3}, 2\pi. However, it is important to double check the solutions using another method, such as solving the quadratic equation, to ensure their accuracy.
anonymous12

Homework Statement

Solve each equation for [tex]0≤\Theta≤2\pi[/tex] (exact values where possible)
The question:
[tex]2cos^22\Theta - cos2\Theta - 1=0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]cos2\Theta = 2cos^2\Theta-1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]2cos^22\Theta - 2cos^2\Theta - 1 - 1 = 0[/tex]
[tex]2cos^22\Theta - 2cos^2\Theta - 2 = 0[/tex]
[tex]2(cos^22\Theta - cos^2\Theta - 1)=0[/tex]
I have absolutely no idea what to do after this.

4. Answer to the question
[tex]0,\frac{\pi}{3}, \frac{2\pi}{3}, \pi, \frac{4\pi}{3}, \frac{5\pi}{3}, 2\pi[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the equation as a quadratic equation in [itex]cos(2\theta)[/itex]. If it helps, make the substitution [itex]u=cos(2\theta)[/itex] and then solve for u (you should get two values), from which you can then find theta.

This is a possible attack that could give you the answers in a 'by inspection' sort of way, but I think you have misapplied this

cos2Θ=2cos2Θ−1

and this

2cos22Θ−2cos2Θ−1−1=0

is wrong.

If you do it right I guess you will see the given answers are right.

However would that have worked for you if you didn't know the answers? More secure might be to solve the quadratic equation. (Or it might be slightly easier to get it all in cosθ and cos2θ and solve that, I don't know. Doing both would be a check.)

1. How do I know if an equation is linear or quadratic?

A linear equation is one that can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m and b are constants and x is the variable. A quadratic equation is one that can be written in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. To determine if an equation is linear or quadratic, check if the highest power of the variable is 1 or 2.

2. What is the difference between solving a linear and a quadratic trig equation?

The main difference between solving a linear and a quadratic trig equation is the number of solutions. A linear trig equation will have one solution, while a quadratic trig equation can have up to two solutions. Additionally, the method of solving these equations may differ, as quadratic equations often require factoring or the quadratic formula.

3. Can I use the same methods to solve both linear and quadratic trig equations?

Yes, there are some methods that can be used to solve both linear and quadratic trig equations, such as substitution or elimination. However, some methods, like factoring or the quadratic formula, can only be used for quadratic equations.

4. How do I check if my solution to a trig equation is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can substitute it back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. For linear equations, the solution should make the equation true. For quadratic equations, the solution(s) should make the equation equal to 0.

5. Are there any special cases or restrictions when solving trig equations?

Yes, when solving trig equations, it is important to be aware of any restrictions or special cases. For example, the domain of trigonometric functions may be limited, and some equations may have extraneous solutions. It is important to check for these restrictions and verify solutions.