Solving Multivariable Limits: Evaluating $\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)}\frac{x-y}{x+y}$

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
spacefreak
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Evaluate the following limit or give a reason explaining why the limit does not exist.

[tex]\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)}\frac{x-y}{x+y}[/tex]

Homework Equations


[tex]x = r*\cos\theta[/tex]
[tex]y = r*\sin\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


[tex]\lim_{r \to 0}\frac{r*\cos\theta-r*\sin\theta}{r*\cos\theta+r*\sin\theta} =<br /> \lim_{r \to 0}\frac{\cos\theta-\sin\theta}{\cos\theta+\sin\theta} =<br /> \lim_{r \to 0}\frac{1}{1+\tan\theta} - \lim_{r \to 0}\frac{1}{1+\cot\theta}[/tex]

When I get to this point, I'm stuck. How do I either find the limit or show that it doesn't exist?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No need for polar coordinates on this one. Take the limit as x->0 while y=0 and vice versa.
 
So, to make sure I understand.

When x -> 0 while y = 0, the limit equals 1. When y -> 0 while x = 0, the limit equals -1. Therefore, the limit does not exist. Am I correct?

I appreciate your help.
 
spacefreak said:
So, to make sure I understand.

When x -> 0 while y = 0, the limit equals 1. When y -> 0 while x = 0, the limit equals -1. Therefore, the limit does not exist. Am I correct?

I appreciate your help.

Exactly.