Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving numerically with Excel?

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    My quandary... it's related to not being able to evaluate numerically (non-algebraic solutions) with Excel. My Mathematica programming is limited, but I've managed to use Findroot to solve it, but it requires me to manually put in 3#'s, hit enter, then copy paste results back to excel.

However, I'll have to do this serveral thousand times! Lots of data. I really need to automate it... I realize Wolfram sells an applet to plug into Excel, but I don't own it.

Does anybody have any other solutions on how to solve numerically with an excel spreadsheet? I've tried reading Mathematica help to import/process/export... to no avail... I just don't know the language well enough.

By the way, for any curious math folks, equations to be solved are of the form...
    exp(-x) - k1*exp(-k2*x) = k3, where k's are constants.

PS - I've created another thread with specific's if anybody well versed with Mathematica is willing to help.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted