1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving position vectors using given speed.

1. Sep 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle P starts at the point with position vector 4i + j. P moves with constant velocity vm/s. After t seconds, P is at the point with position vector 12i - 11j. Find t if the speed of P is 4m/s.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    6i - 3j = -2i + 3j + vt
    => 8i - 6j = vt
    => 8i - 6j = *bleh. and now I'm stuck.*
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

Use the formula in the attachment in your other problem, r = r0 + vt.

In your attempt, where did 6i - 3j and -2i + 3j come from? They don't have anything to do with this problem.

At 0 seconds, the particle is at r0 = 4i + j. After t seconds, r = 12i - 11j.

So 12i - 11j = 4i + j + v t.

Start with this equation, simplify it a bit, and use the idea that if two vectors are equal, their magnitudes are also equal.
  4. Sep 3, 2010 #3
    HAHAHAHA. This is the second time I've done this. *facepalm* I copied the wrong vectors.
    r0 = -2i + 3j, and r = 6i - 3j.

So, 8i - 6j = tv

And I really have no idea what to do to proceed.

EDIT: Ok. So,
    8i - 6j = vt
    Both sides are equivalent.
    Speed = |v|
    | 8i - 6j | = |vt|
    => 10 = 4t
    => t= 2.5
    So t=2.5 seconds?
    But can you just multiply like that?
    What I mean to say is that is |vt| = |v| * t ?
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  5. Sep 3, 2010 #4

Both sides are equal. There is a difference. Statements can be equivalent (same truth values); expressions can be equal (or less than, greater than, etc.).
    Yes, the magnitude of a scalar times a vector is the scalar times the magnitude of the vector.

More precisely, |kv| = |k||v|. This takes into account the possibility that k is a negative number.
  6. Sep 3, 2010 #5
    Wait, don't you mean |kv| = k * |v|
    Or are you just implying that the magnitude of a scalar is the sacalr itself, i.e, |k| = k

*sigh* I need some sleep.
  7. Sep 3, 2010 #6
    |k| means the absolute value of the scalar k, which is always positive, like the magnitude (length) of a vector. So if k = -5, then |k| = 5. If k = 5, |k| = 5. It just means, throw away the minus sign if there is one.
  8. Sep 3, 2010 #7

No, I mean exactly what I wrote, namely that |kv| = |k||v|. The magnitude of a scalar is its distance from 0.

For example, let v = 3i + 4j, so |v| = 5.
    |-2v| = |-2(3i + 4j)| = |-6i - 8j)| = [itex]\sqrt[/itex]((-6)2 + (-8)2) = [itex]\sqrt[/itex](36 + 64) = [itex]\sqrt[/itex](100) = 10 = 2|v|
  9. Sep 3, 2010 #8
    I can't wait till I'm as smart as you guys. *anticipation emoticon*
    EDIT: And thanks for all your help.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook