Solving PV/nRT for T: Temp Needed to Reduce Gas Volume to 2.50L

  • Thread starter Thread starter fromthepast
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Compressed Gas
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
fromthepast
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
A sample of sulfur hexafluoride gas occupies a volume of 5.10 L at 198 C. Assuming that the pressure remains constant, what temperature (in C) is needed to reduce the volume to 2.50 L?

I used PV/nRT = PV/nRT and got -42 C.

Do I have to convert to Kevlin first and then back to Celsius?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You would have to convert to Kelvin. Whether to express you answer in Celsius is a matter of prefrence, but your answer will come out in Kelvin.
 
fromthepast said:
Do I have to convert to Kevlin first and then back to Celsius?
It looks like this is what you did already. You won't get -42 if you use initial temperature in Celsius.