Solving Shell Motion with Initial Velocity of 60 m/s

In summary, a shell is fired upward from the top of a building at an angle of π/6 with the horizontal. Its initial velocity is 60 m/s, and assume it is fired from the point (0, 500) when t=0 and x′(t) = 0 and y′(t)=-9.8 m/s^2. It is then integrated to find the position and the time it hits the ground.
Physics2341313
I've put the problem statement below and worked it out. I typically don't post questions like this as they're a lot to go through, but I am wondering if I have worked the problem correctly as my book does not have the solution and I feel like I am not understand the material correctly.

1. Homework Statement

A shell is fired upward from the top of a building at an angle of [itex]\pi /3[/itex] with the horizontal. Its initial velocity is 60 m/s, and assume it is fired from the point (0, 500) when [itex]t=0[/itex] and [itex]x''(t) = 0[/itex] and [itex]y''(t)=-9.8 m/s^2[/itex] while [itex] 0 \le t \le t_2[/itex] is the time when the shell hits the ground.

The Attempt at a Solution

Given that [itex]x''(t) = 0[/itex] and [itex]y''(t) = -9.8[/itex] we have r''(t) = <0, -9.8> integrating the vector-valued function we have [tex]r'(t) = <C, -9.8t + C> \rightarrow r'(t) = <60cos(\pi/3), -9.8t + 60sin(\pi/3)>[/tex] using the initial velocity given. Integrating again to get the position we have [tex] r(t) = <60cos(\pi/3)t + C, -4.9t^2 + 60sin(\pi/3)t + C>[/tex] [tex]r(t) = <60cos(\pi/3)t, -4.9t^2 + 60sin(\pi/3)t + 500>[/tex] using the point (0, 500) given.

Now, are the parametric equations [itex]x(t)[/itex] and [itex]y(t)[/itex] for [itex]r(t)=<x(t),y(t)>[/itex] just [itex]x(t) = 60cos(\pi/3)t[/itex] and [itex]y(t) = -4.9t^2 + 60sin(\pi/3) + 500[/itex]?

Solving for the time the shell reaches the maximum height will be the time at which [itex]y'(t) = 0[/itex]? so we have: [tex]-9.8t + 60sin(\pi/3) = 0 \Rightarrow t = 60sin(\pi/3)/9.8 = 5.3 s[/tex]
The maximum height will then be [tex] y(5.3) = -4.9(5.3)^2 + 60sin(\pi/3)(5.3) + 500 = 637.75 m[/tex]
The time the shell hits the ground is when [itex]y(t) = 0[/itex]? so we have: [tex] 0 = -4.9t^2 + 60sin(\pi/3)t + 500 \Rightarrow t = 10.11[/tex]
Horizontal distance: [itex]x(10.11) = 60cos(\pi/3)(10.11) = 303.3 m[/itex]

The speed of shell at impact:

[itex] ||r'(10.11)|| = \sqrt{(60cos(\pi/3))^2 + (-9.8(10.11) + 60sin(\pi/3))^2} = 55.86 m/s[/itex]

Is this the correct way to calculate the speed? As speed is just the magnitude of the velocity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics2341313 said:
A shell is fired upward from the top of a building at an angle of π/6

Physics2341313 said:
r′(t)=<60cos(π/3),−9.8t+60sin(π/3)>
The angles are different. Am I missing something?

No, sorry I mistyped I'll fix it.

What is shell motion?

Shell motion refers to the movement of an object, such as a projectile or a bullet, through the air. It is affected by factors such as initial velocity, gravity, and air resistance.

What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity is the speed at which an object is launched or thrown. It is the velocity of the object at the beginning of its motion.

How is shell motion affected by initial velocity of 60 m/s?

The initial velocity of 60 m/s will determine the speed and direction of the projectile. The higher the initial velocity, the farther the object will travel before hitting the ground.

How do you solve for shell motion with initial velocity of 60 m/s?

To solve for shell motion with an initial velocity of 60 m/s, you will need to use the equations of motion which take into account the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and the distance traveled. You may also need to consider factors such as air resistance and wind.

What are some real-world applications of solving shell motion with initial velocity of 60 m/s?

Solving shell motion with an initial velocity of 60 m/s is important in fields such as ballistics, engineering, and sports. It can help determine the trajectory of projectiles, the design of airplanes and other vehicles, and the performance of athletes in sports such as javelin throwing and long jump.