1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High School Calculus Velocity question

1. Apr 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If you throw a ball straight down from a building that is 443 meters tall with a velocity of 22 m/s how long would it take to reach the ground, and what would be its speed at impact?

2. Relevant equations
    Since the ball is being thrown down with a velocity of 22 m/s I plug that into the gravitational constant equation for earth -4.9t^2 -22t +443.

3. The attempt at a solution
    To get when the ball hits the ground I set -4.9t^2 -22t +443=0. Solving for t I get about ~7.5. To get the speed at impact I took the second derivative which is -9.8t -22. Plugging in t into this equation I get |-9.8(7.5) -22| for 95.5 m/s for the speed at impact. Was this problem handled in the correct fashion?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2016 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks good to me.

4. Apr 6, 2016 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

-9.8t-22 is not the second derivative; it's the first derivative of the position function, -4.9t2-22t+443 = 0.

5. Apr 7, 2016 #4
    Thanks! :D

Ah I see! Thanks for correcting me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted