Solving Speed of Train on Curve of Radius 235m

  • Thread starter Thread starter sugarntwiligh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hard Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
sugarntwiligh
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A train traveling at a constant speed rounds a curve of radius 235 m. A chandelier suspended from the ceiling swings out to an angle of 17.5° throughout the turn. What is the speed of the train?

Homework Equations



a=v^2/r
use of cosine and sine

v=2x3.14xr/T

The Attempt at a Solution



Not sure what 17.5 degrees tells me about the problem, except its continuing along straight while the train turns. I tried to draw but it really doesn't make much sense to me. Also, even if I did compute using cosine and sine, what would that tell me about the problem except distance? And, I can't find acceleration, velocity, or period without time.
Any thoughts?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the forces on the chandelier (draw a free body diagram). You will have the tension of the string, and gravity.
 
I did that and I guess I can derive T from the triangle, but since T is a unit of time, I would have to cancel the time from both sides. Where is the unit of time in my free body diagram?
 
Somebody please help I have to get this done by a deadline!