Solving Static Equilibrium: Find D for Tension of 1200 N

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
G-reg
Messages
41
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In the figure below, a uniform beam of weight 520 N and length 3.4 m is suspended horizontally. On the left it is hinged to a wall; on the right is it supported by a cable bolted to the wall at distance D above the beam. The least tension that will snap the cable is 1200 N.

What value of D corresponds to that tension?

Homework Equations



[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F in the x direction = 1200



The Attempt at a Solution


That equation is a guess within itself..I really have no clue how I should go about solving this problem..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The beam is in static equilibrium; it's not moving and not accelerating. Because of that, the sum of the forces be in the x and y directions must be 0.

That said, I don't think using forces is the best way to approach this problem. Try using torque: because the beam is not rotating, torque must be zero about any reference frame.
 
Oh ok so I would set it up like this,

[tex]\Sigma\tau[/tex] = 3.0meters(mg) + ?

The question marks meaning that I don't know what to put after that first 3meters multiplied by mass times gravity.

Thank you for your help!