Solving systems of linear equations

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Panphobia
Messages
435
Reaction score
13

Homework Statement


x + 3y + z = 4
2x + 2y + z = -1
2x + 3y + z = 3

Find the general solution, and two particular solutions.


The Attempt at a Solution


y = 4; x = -1; z = -7; if I am not mistaken. So how am I supposed to find a general and two particular solutions if there is only one solution?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Panphobia said:

Homework Statement


x + 3y + z = 4
2x + 2y + z = -1
2x + 3y + z = 3

Find the general solution, and two particular solutions.


The Attempt at a Solution


y = 4; x = -1; z = -7; if I am not mistaken. So how am I supposed to find a general and two particular solutions if there is only one solution?

You can't. There is only one solution. Must be an error in the problem statement.