Solutions to systems of linear equations

The system is consistent (has a solution), but it is not a unique solution (there are infinitely many solutions, since ##z## can be any real number).
Robb

Homework Statement

Determine whether of not each system has a nonzero solution.

x + 3y - 2z = 0
2x - 3y + z = 0
3x - 2y + 2z = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using a ti-84 I put the matrix in rref and I get a nonzero solution for x and y and zero for z but when I find the determinant of the coefficient matrix I get zero, indicating there is not a unique solution. I'm unsure what to make of this. Please advise.

1 0 .727
rref= 0 1 -.909
0 0 0

det = 1 3 -2
2 -3 1 = 0
3 -2 2

Physics news on Phys.org
Robb said:

Homework Statement

x + 3y - 2z = 0
2x - 3y + z = 0
3x - 2y + 2z = 0

Homework Equations

Using a ti-84 I put the matrix in rref and I get a nonzero solution for x and y and zero for z but when I find the determinant of the coefficient matrix I get zero, indicating there is not a unique solution. I'm unsure what to make of this. Please advise.

1 0 .727
rref= 0 1 -.909
0 0 0

det = 1 3 -2
2 -3 1 = 0
3 -2 2
Check your calculation of the determinant. I did it two ways and got -17 both ways.

I am also suspect of what you entered into your calculator. Your reduced matrix isn't right, at least based on the equations you wrote. Also, your reduced matrix does not mean that z = 0.

Last edited:
My apologies, mixed up my problems

rref = 1 0 0 0
0 1 0 0
0 0 0 0

det = -17

Robb said:
My apologies, mixed up my problems

rref = 1 0 0 0
0 1 0 0
0 0 0 0
Still not right. What this says is that x = 0, y = 0, and z is arbitrary.

Also, you have too many columns. You don't need to include the constants on the right sides of the equations.

Robb said:
det = -17

I realize I don't need them for the determinant but why not for the augmented matrix? Is that not in rref with 4 columns? Also, my head must be up my you know what today. Here is the correct rref (finally):
1 0 0 0
0 1 0 0
0 0 1 0

Robb said:
I realize I don't need them for the determinant but why not for the augmented matrix? Is that not in rref with 4 columns? Also, my head must be up my you know what today. Here is the correct rref (finally):
1 0 0 0
0 1 0 0
0 0 1 0
Yes, that's more like it.
For your system of equations, you don't need an augmented matrix, because all the constant terms are zero. It doesn't hurt, but it isn't necessary, since no row operation can possibly change the values on the right sides of the equations.

You would need an augmented matrix if one or more of the constant terms happened to be nonzero.

Gotcha! But, what is this telling me? x, y, z are all zero yet the determinant is -17. Doesn't the determinant say that I should have a unique solution? I guess I'm not sure what the determinant is telling me here.

Robb said:

Homework Statement

x + 3y - 2z = 0
2x - 3y + z = 0
3x - 2y + 2z = 0

Homework Equations

1 0 .727
rref= 0 1 -.909
0 0 0

det = 1 3 -2
2 -3 1 = 0
3 -2 2

If you are serious about wanting to learn the subject I suggest you lay aside your calculator and just do the problem by hand, maybe using the calculator to add, subtract, multiply and divide numbers, but nothing else. After you have grasped the material (which requires practice to do properly), then you can let the calculator do some more of the work for you.

Likes SammyS
Robb said:
Gotcha! But, what is this telling me? x, y, z are all zero yet the determinant is -17. Doesn't the determinant say that I should have a unique solution? I guess I'm not sure what the determinant is telling me here.
x = y = z = 0 is the unique solution. This solution is consistent with the determinant being -17 (or in fact any nonzero value).

Robb said:

Yes, the determinant being nonzero tells you there is a unique solution. ##x=0, y=0, z=0## is that unique solution.

1. What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of two or more equations that involve two or more variables. The goal is to find values for the variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

2. How do you solve a system of linear equations?

There are multiple methods for solving a system of linear equations, including graphing, substitution, and elimination. The most efficient method depends on the specific equations in the system.

3. Can a system of linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have one, infinite, or no solutions. One solution occurs when the lines intersect at one point, infinite solutions occur when the equations are equivalent, and no solutions occur when the lines are parallel and never intersect.

4. What is the importance of solving systems of linear equations?

Solving systems of linear equations is important in many real-world applications, such as finding the optimal solution in business and economics, predicting patterns in science and engineering, and solving problems in physics and chemistry.

5. Are there any special cases when solving systems of linear equations?

Yes, there are two special cases when solving systems of linear equations: inconsistent systems and dependent systems. Inconsistent systems have no solution, while dependent systems have infinite solutions.