Solving the Kinetic Friction and Tension of Two Blocks

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
mooney82
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Block A (M1-5 kg) is on a horizontal surface and block B (M2-2 kg)to the left resting on a 30 degree incline. the two are connected to each other by a mass-less rope over a massless pulley and are moving down hill (to the left) at constant velocity.

a) Find the coefficient of kinetic friction assuming it is the same for both blocks.
b) The tension of the rope


Homework Equations


fk=ukN


The Attempt at a Solution


I found -fk=M1*a and substituted that into the first equation of 5sin(30)-fk=ma. I'm not sure if I'm even starting this right or not, a gentle nudge in the right direction would be most appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


mooney82 said:

The Attempt at a Solution


I found -fk=M1*a ...

You are omitting one of the forces acting on the mass. Did you draw a free body diagram ?

Another hint: from reading the problem statement, we know that a=____?