Solving the Motion of an Electron in a Magnetic/Electrical Field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Icheb
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
I have a constant magnetic field pointing in the direction of the z axis and I'm supposed to find a formula for the way an electron with arbitrary starting position and velocity would travel in this field.

The formula in this case would be

F(x, x', t) = q(v × B(x, t))

and I'm stuck at the point where I have to split this formula into the three equations for motion. Would I just use

F(x, x', t) = q(x' × B(x, t))

and so on or am I missing something? And how would I proceed afterwards?Then there's also a similar problem, but with an electrical field pointing in the direction of the y axis. Which formula would I use here? The only one I can think of is F = q*E, but don't I need a formula that contains information about the particle involved?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First, there is no x and t dependence on B; the question says that it is constant in the z direction. Then you have to split that vector equation of yours into 3 scalar equations: one for each components. I'll do one for you since this seems to be confusing to you:

[tex]\vec{F}=q(\vec{v}\times B\hat{z})[/tex]

[tex]\Leftrightarrow F_x\hat{x}+F_y\hat{y}+F_z\hat{z}=qB(v_x\hat{z}-v_y\hat{x})[/tex]

Therefor, the scalar equation corresponding to the x-component is

[tex]F_x=-qBv_y[/tex]

But since v_y=dy/dt and by Newton's second law, F_x=md²x/dt², that equation is equivalent to

[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=-\frac{qB}{m}\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]