Solving the Physics of a Skier Leaving a Hill

  • Thread starter Thread starter austindubose
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hill Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
austindubose
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A skier starts from rest at the top of a large hemispherical hill. Neglect friction and show that the skier will leave the hill becoming airborne at a distance of h=R/3 below the top of the hill. R is the radius of the hemispherical hill.


Homework Equations


Conservation of energy, balancing of forces, centripetal force = m(v2/r)


The Attempt at a Solution


I know this has to do with when the normal force becomes zero (or at least that's what I think). But I have no idea how to start this; can anyone point me in the right direction?
 
Physics news on Phys.org