1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving this Linear Differential Equation?

1. Nov 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the general solution to this differential equation:
    [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}+18x^{17}y=x^{18}[/itex]
    Use the variable [itex]I[/itex] for replacing [itex]\int e^{x^{18}} dx[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution
    I've solved the differential equation using integrating factors and obtained the following result:
    [itex]y=\frac{\int e^{x^{18}}x^{18} dx + C}{e^{x^{18}}}[/itex]

My problem is using the variable [itex]I[/itex] for replacing the [itex]\int e^{x^{{18}}} dx[/itex]. How am I suppose to do this with [itex]x^{18}[/itex] inside the integral?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You need to group characters using { } in LaTeX.
    You can't. You want to integrate by parts now.

4. Nov 24, 2011 #3
    Are you familiar with the product rule?

(f*g)' = f'g + g'f

I am not following what you are doing at all...

You already got the integrating factor [tex]e^{x^18}[/tex], why do you have [tex]\int e^{x^18} dx[/tex]?

5. Nov 24, 2011 #4
    Okay well I did try using integration by parts after I obtained the general solution, but didn't get far as I got this:
    [itex]\int e^{x^{18}}x^{18}dx[/itex]

[itex]u = x^{18}[/itex]
    [itex]du = 18x^{17} dx[/itex]
    [itex]dv = e^{x^{18}} dv[/itex]
    [itex]v = \int e^{x^{18}} dv[/itex]

[itex]uv - \int v du[/itex]

[itex]x^{18}\int e^{x^{18}} dv - \int[ \int e^{x^{18}} dv] 18x^{17} dx[/itex]

At this point, how am I suppose to utilize the substitution of [itex]\int e^{x^{18}}dx[/itex] with [itex]I[/itex]? In other words, how do I input the general solution into the website without inputting integrals? Since the website doesn't recognize integral signs, which is why it's asking me to use [itex]I[/itex] for every [itex]\int e^{x^{18}}dx[/itex] I encounter.

To the flyingpig's question, I need to use the variable "I" because it says to do so in the online problem that I'm doing.

6. Nov 24, 2011 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try using u=x and [itex]dv=x^{17}e^{x^{18}}\,dx[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook