1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving transcedental equation

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    i want to solve tan (f(x)) = g(x) ..also i want to determine all the possible solutions!
    which numerical method i should use?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2011 #2
    There is no one answer.

Since tan has an infinite number of asymptotes, the first questions I'd have to ask is, will you be considering a particular range? Once you have a range, any numerical method could do the job.

I'd also wonder how accurate do you need solutions? To two decimal places? Three? Four? . . . If you didn't need a high degree of accuracy, perhaps even a graphical approach would work for you.

4. Sep 11, 2011 #3
    yes, i will be considering tan from 0 to infinity, i.e all possible branches

and i need my solutions to be accurate. hence graphical approach wont work :(

5. Sep 12, 2011 #4
    I would first evaluate f(x) and then use that result in the series expantion of tangent taken however far you want to get the accuracy you desire to solve.

That will work for all possible solutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook