Solving trigonometry equation involving half-angle

The equation is the same as the one in post #19, but using the double-angle formula for sine:$$7 \cos \left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)=10 \sin \theta$$$$7 \cos \left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)=10 \times 2 \sin \left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right) \cos \left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)$$$$7=20 \tan \left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)$$$$\tan \left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)=\frac{7}{20}$$Then, using the tangent half-angle formula:$$\tan \left(\
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Double angle formula
1662864245937.png

I can solve this by using the double-angle formula but the teacher expects another method not involving the double-angle formula.

Is there a way to solve this without using double-angle formula?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you use the complex exponential function?

Likes songoku
You can start with the trig identity
##\sin(a+b)=\sin a \cos b+\cos a \sin b##
and set ##a=b=\dfrac{\theta}{2}.##

Likes songoku
You can also iterate numerically.

Likes songoku
kuruman said:
You can start with the trig identity
##\sin(a+b)=\sin a \cos b+\cos a \sin b##
and set ##a=b=\dfrac{\theta}{2}.##
That’s just giving the double angle formula though.

Without it I would go for the complex exponential solution mentioned by fresh.

Likes songoku
Orodruin said:
That’s just giving the double angle formula though.

Without it I would go for the complex exponential solution mentioned by fresh.
I thought about that, but the quoted trig identity can be derived directly using complex exponentials without invoking the double angle formula. Regardless of how one goes about solving this, one will have to use the given fact that the argument of the trig function on the left is half the argument of the trig function on the right.

Likes songoku
kuruman said:
I thought about that, but the quoted trig identity can be derived directly using complex exponentials without invoking the double angle formula.
Sure, but it is the double angle formula once you put both arguments to theta/2.

In general however, I do find it silly to prohibit certain paths to solve a problem unless there is very good reason to do so.

Likes songoku
Orodruin said:
Sure, but it is the double angle formula once you put both arguments to theta/2.

In general however, I do find it silly to prohibit certain paths to solve a problem unless there is very good reason to do so.
I agree. Prohibiting paths raises the question whether what is not explicitly prohibited is implicitly allowed. If using WolframAlpha is not prohibited, for example, then it can be used.

Likes SolarisOne and songoku
What class is this in and what level of school is it?

songoku said:
Homework Statement:: Please see below
Relevant Equations:: Double angle formula

View attachment 314005

I can solve this by using the double-angle formula but the teacher expects another method not involving the double-angle formula.

Is there a way to solve this without using double-angle formula?

Thanks
$$\frac{7}{\sqrt{1+t^2}}=10\times \frac{2t}{1+t^2}$$

Likes songoku
neilparker62 said:
Yes, but how do you derive this expression for the tangent ##t## of the half-angle without using the half-angle formula on the right-hand side?

Likes songoku
kuruman said:
Yes, but how do you derive this expression for the tangent ##t## of the half-angle without using the half-angle formula on the right-hand side?
I thought that not using the double angle meant not solving: $$7\cos\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)=20\cos\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)\sin\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)$$ which would be straight forward.

Likes songoku
See reply #7 by @Orodruin. I agree with him that this is silly and I have said all I had to say here.

Likes neilparker62 and songoku
Iterate on your calculator $$\theta = sin^{-1}\left(\frac{7}{10} cos(\frac{\theta}{2})\right)$$ until it converges.

Likes songoku
I asked the teacher for clarification about another method he expected then he sent me a pdf email containing a lot formulas. For trigonometry part, the formula is only sine and cosine rule.

I am starting to think this is a troll rather than a serious question. I just don't see how the question is related to sine and cosine rule.

Is it just me or there is actually a way to solve this question using sine and cosine rule?

Thanks

You could try the special angles you know sines and cosines of without wasting time on ones that obviously won't work like x=0.

Likes songoku
Thank you very much for the help fresh_42, kuruman, bob012345, Orodruin, neilarpker62, epenguin

Likes bob012345
neilparker62 said:
This looks to me like a reasonable path toward a solution.

It probably should be pointed out that in the right hand side, the tangent half-angle formula is used for ##\sin \theta##, where ## t=\tan (\theta / 2) ## . See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangent_half-angle_formula

In the left hand side, ##\cos(\theta / 2)## is expressed in terms of ## \tan (\theta / 2) ##.

Likes songoku
songoku said:
I asked the teacher for clarification about another method he expected then he sent me a pdf email containing a lot formulas. For trigonometry part, the formula is only sine and cosine rule.

I am starting to think this is a troll rather than a serious question. I just don't see how the question is related to sine and cosine rule.

Is it just me or there is actually a way to solve this question using sine and cosine rule?

Thanks
1663157530709.png

Likes Lnewqban, songoku, kuruman and 3 others
Likes songoku
neilparker62 said:
Wow, there is really a way to solve the question using the sine and cosine rule. :redface:

Thank you very much for the help neilparker62

Likes neilparker62 and Lnewqban
songoku said:
Wow, there is really a way to solve the question using the sine and cosine rule. :redface:

Thank you very much for the help neilparker62
You could even drop a perpendicular and solve by elementary trig! After which we have come full circle since:$$ \cos\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)\left(20\sin\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)-7\right)=0.$$

Last edited:
Likes songoku
For benefit of the weaker brethren, can songaku or someone please spell out the arguments – both methods? I am not seeing it.

There are three solutions 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π . One of them you can obtain as indicated in #16 (and you may kick yourself if you have missed it).

Actually the periodicity of the problem is 4π not 2π (Another reason for doubt as to whether the Prof who set it knew exactly what he's about) and there are two of these 'trivial' solutions, and still only two others 0 ≤ θ ≤ 4π , I think.

epenguin said:
For benefit of the weaker brethren, can songaku or someone please spell out the arguments – both methods? I am not seeing it.

There are three solutions 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π . One of them you can obtain as indicated in #16 (and you may kick yourself if you have missed it).
By both methods, do you mean the methods in post #19 and post #22?

If yes, for the method in post #19:
$$7 \cos \left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)=10 \sin \theta$$
$$\frac{7}{\sin \theta}=\frac{10}{\cos \frac{\theta}{2}}$$
$$\frac{7}{\sin \theta}=\frac{10}{\sin \left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{\theta}{2}\right)}$$

This is in the form of sine rule and then I changed it into triangle diagram to get the same picture as post#19

Solving the cosine rule, I got 0.72 and 5.57 as the solution. I got the third solution by using your method in post #16For the method in post #22, I used the double angle formula (which is maybe prohibited by my teacher):
$$7 \cos \left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)=10 \sin \theta$$
$$7 \cos \left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right) = 10 (2 \sin \frac{\theta}{2} \cos \frac{\theta}{2})$$
$$7 \cos \left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right) - 10 (2 \sin \frac{\theta}{2} \cos \frac{\theta}{2})=0$$
$$ \cos\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)\left(7-20\sin\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)\right)=0$$

Solving this, I got all the three solutions

Likes bob012345
neilparker62 said:
You could even drop a perpendicular and solve by elementary trig! After which we have come full circle since:$$ \cos\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)\left(20\sin\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)-7\right)=0.$$
How do you get this from the diagram which has only one angle solution?

To @songoku:
To elaborate on @bob012345's statement, if you want to use the triangle, you need to provide a geometrical proof. Hint: You need to find two line segments, one of length ##7 \cos \left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)## and one of length ##10 \sin \theta## and show that they are equal.

Likes songoku
bob012345 said:
bob012345 said:
The solution to the second bracket is that which you can get either by dropping a perpendicular and using elementary trig or by applying sine rule to the triangle I drew. In the latter case, I would say the solution ##\cos(\frac{\theta}{2})=0## is excluded since ##\cos(\frac{\theta}{2})## would be a denominator in the equation ##\frac{7}{\sin\theta}=\frac{10}{\cos(\frac{\theta}{2})}##. But we can of course solve for ##\theta## directly in the triangle by applying the cosine rule.

Likes songoku and SammyS
kuruman said:
To @songoku:
To elaborate on @bob012345's statement, if you want to use the triangle, you need to provide a geometrical proof. Hint: You need to find two line segments, one of length ##7 \cos \left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)## and one of length ##10 \sin \theta## and show that they are equal.
Sorry I don't really understand your hint.

What I did was only change sine rule into triangle:
$$\frac{7}{\sin \theta}=\frac{10}{\sin \left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{\theta}{2}\right)}$$

Side of length 7 will be across the angle ##\theta## and side of length 10 will be across angle ##\frac{\pi}{2} - \frac{\theta}{2}##. One more angle of the triangle will be ##\frac{\pi}{2} - \frac{\theta}{2}## so the triangle is an isosceles triangle and the third side will also be 10.

neilparker62 said:
In the latter case, I would say the solution ##\cos(\frac{\theta}{2})=0## is excluded since ##\cos(\frac{\theta}{2})## would be a denominator in the equation ##\frac{7}{\sin\theta}=\frac{10}{\cos(\frac{\theta}{2})}##.
But the solution of ##\cos(\frac{\theta}{2})=0## satisfies the original question so wouldn't we lose one solution if we exclude that?

Thanks

songoku said:
Sorry I don't really understand your hint.
Here is what I had in mind. The diagram is drawn to scale specifically for this problem but the proof is general because the proposition that we are asked to prove is an identity.
Isosceles.png

1. Draw isosceles triangle ABC.
  2. Draw heights AF and BD.
  3. From right triangle ADB we have ##BD = AB \sin(2\alpha).##
  4. From right triangle AFB BDC we have ##BD = BC \cos(\beta).##
  5. It follows that ##AB \sin(2\alpha)=BC \cos(\beta).##
  6. Angles ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are equal because their sides are mutually perpendicular. Therefore, ##BC \cos(\alpha)=AB \sin(2\alpha).##
  7. Setting ##\alpha = \frac{\theta}{2}##, ##AB=10## and ##BC=7## finishes the proof for this specific case.

Last edited:
Likes songoku, SammyS and bob012345
SammyS said:
It looks like this is for triangle BDC not AFB .
Good catch! I made the necessary correction. Thanks.

songoku said:
But the solution of ##\cos(\frac{\theta}{2})=0## satisfies the original question so wouldn't we lose one solution if we exclude that?

Thanks
Perhaps we should rather say it's a trivial solution since 7 x 0 = 10 x 0.

Likes songoku
neilparker62 said:
Perhaps we should rather say it's a trivial solution since 7 x 0 = 10 x 0.
Well, it's a trivial solution if you use the double angle formula for sine in the equation given in the OP.

It's also apparent that it's a solution if you note that ##\cos\left(\frac \theta 2 \right)=0## for ##\theta## being an odd multiple of ## \pi ## and that ##\sin\left ( \theta \right )=0## for any integer multiple of ##\pi## .

Likes songoku and neilparker62
kuruman said:
Here is what I had in mind. The diagram is drawn to scale specifically for this problem but the proof is general because the proposition that we are asked to prove is an identity.
View attachment 314276
  1. Draw isosceles triangle ABC.
  2. Draw heights AF and BD.
  3. From right triangle ADB we have ##BD = AB \sin(2\alpha).##
  4. From right triangle AFB BDC we have ##BD = BC \cos(\beta).##
  5. It follows that ##AB \sin(2\alpha)=BC \cos(\beta).##
  6. Angles ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are equal because their sides are mutually perpendicular. Therefore, ##BC \cos(\alpha)=AB \sin(2\alpha).##
  7. Setting ##\alpha = \frac{\theta}{2}##, ##AB=10## and ##BC=7## finishes the proof for this specific case.
Sorry, for step no. 6, what is the meaning of "their sides are mutually perpendicular" ?

Thanks

songoku said:
Sorry, for step no. 6, what is the meaning of "their sides are mutually perpendicular" ?

Thanks
Angle ##\alpha## (right) is formed by segments AF and AC.
Angle ##\beta## is formed by segments BD and BC.

BD is perpendicular to AC and BC is perpendicular to AF. That's what "mutually perpendicular" means. You can see that the sides will be parallel to each other when you rotate AF and AC counterclockwise by 90° which makes the angles equal.

Likes songoku