Solving Trigonometric Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the equation 2sin\Theta-\sqrt{2}=0. The equation is simplified to 2sin\Theta=\sqrt{2} and the question arises whether to include the ± for the square root. It is concluded that since the question includes a ±, both positive and negative solutions should be considered. The concept is compared to solving for x in x=\sqrt{25} and x^2=25.
frozonecom

Homework Statement

[itex]2sin\Theta-\sqrt{2}=0[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]2sin\Theta=\sqrt{2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{2sin\Theta}{2}=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/itex]

So here's my problem. Should it be positive or negative? Or just positive? Since the square root of any positive number can be positive or negative, right? Is there a possibility that the answer can be both positive and negative?

[itex]sin\Theta=\pm\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/itex]

if so, [itex]\Theta=45 degrees[/itex] [itex] or[/itex] [itex] 135 degrees[/itex] ---- for positive value of [itex]sin\Theta[/itex]

[itex]\Theta=-45 degrees[/itex] [itex] or [/itex] [itex]315 degrees[/itex] [itex] or[/itex] [itex] 225 degrees[/itex] ---- for negative value of [itex]sin\Theta[/itex]

So, I'm confused if:

[itex]2sin\Theta-\sqrt{2}=0[/itex]

[itex]2sin\Theta=\sqrt{2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{2sin\Theta}{2}=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/itex]

Can be:

[itex]2sin\Theta-(\pm\sqrt{2})=0[/itex]

[itex]2sin\Theta=(\pm\sqrt{2})[/itex]

[itex]\frac{2sin\Theta}{2}=(\pm\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2})[/itex]

So can it be?
Is it mathematically correct to think of it that way? Sorry if this is such a stu*id question. :)
Hope you can help me! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is positive and separate from its negative counterpart, [itex]-\sqrt{2}[/itex]. If the question did not say [itex]± \sqrt{2}[/itex], then you can safely just worry about the positive value.

If, on the other hand, the question was [itex]4sin^2 \Theta-2=0[/itex], then when you take the square root you must be sure to include the ±.

It is sort of like saying [itex]x=\sqrt{25}[/itex] is equal to positive 5 only, however if i said that [itex]x^2=25[/itex], then x could be +5 or -5.

Thank you for clearing this out for me!
Sadly that was on my quiz and I totally included the negative root as a solution for the equation. :(

At least now I know it. Thanks for answering! :)

1. How do you solve basic trigonometric equations?

To solve basic trigonometric equations, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. You can also use trigonometric identities and properties to simplify and solve the equation.

2. What are the key steps to solving trigonometric equations?

The key steps to solving trigonometric equations are: identifying the trigonometric function involved, simplifying the equation using identities or properties, isolating the variable, and finding the solutions within the given domain.

3. How do you solve trigonometric equations with multiple angles?

To solve trigonometric equations with multiple angles, you can use the sum and difference formulas, double-angle formulas, or half-angle formulas to reduce the equation to a simpler form. Then, you can use the methods mentioned above to solve the equation.

4. Can trigonometric equations have more than one solution?

Yes, trigonometric equations can have multiple solutions. This is because trigonometric functions are periodic and have infinite solutions within a given interval. However, when solving trigonometric equations, we usually consider the principal or primary solutions within the given domain.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric equations include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, using the wrong formula or identity, and not simplifying the equation properly. It is also important to check for solutions outside of the given domain and to use the correct units when dealing with angles.