Solving x'=Ax+g using undetermined coefficients

In summary: Thanks, buddy. One more quick question! Assuming you have two eigenvectors, if you solve for x using the above equation, you'll get x_1=e_1*x_2, x_2=e_2*x_3, and x_3=e_3*x.Assuming you have two eigenvectors, if you solve for x using the above equation, you'll get x_1=e_1*x_2, x_2=e_2*x_3, and x_3=e_3*x.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

Problem #4 from here: http://www.math.washington.edu/~jtittelf/ExtraCredit.pdf

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

There's only one example of using undetermined coefficients in my textbook. I'm not sure where to start. x = t2a + tb + c ? That's just a ball park guess, since then x' will have just have constant vectors and vectors multiplied by t, like in the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd start by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of [tex]\begin{pmatrix}2 & 2 \\ 1 & 3\end{pmatrix}[/tex]...

gabbagabbahey said:
I'd start by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of [tex]\begin{pmatrix}2 & 2 \\ 1 & 3\end{pmatrix}[/tex]...

Fine. det(AI)=0 ----> (2-ß)*(3-ß)-2*1 = 0 ----> ß2 - 5ß + 4 = 0 ----> (ß-4)(ß-1)=0 ----> ß=4, 1

-----> ß(1) = (1 1)T, B(2)=(-2 1)T

Ah-ha! So I know part of the solution is e4t(1 1)T + et(-2 1)T.

Maybe I assume the full solution is e4t(1 1)T + et(-2 1)T + at2 + bt + c?

You don't get the zero vector for your first eigenvector...show your calculations for that part

gabbagabbahey said:
You don't get the zero vector for your first eigenvector...show your calculations for that part

(see edit)

Jamin2112 said:
Maybe I assume the full solution is e4t(1 1)T + et(-2 1)T + at2 + bt + c?

Close...I think you want to assume the solution is of the form

[tex]\textbf{x}(t)=c_1e^{4t}\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}+c_2e^{t}\begin{pmatrix} -2 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}+\textbf{a}t+\textbf{b}[/tex]

The [itex]c_1[/itex] and [itex]c_2[/itex] are needed since any linear combination of your two independent homogeneous solutions will also be a solution to the homogeneous equation. And I don't think you need a [itex]t^2[/itex] term for your particular solution.

gabbagabbahey said:
Close...I think you want to assume the solution is of the form

[tex]\textbf{x}(t)=c_1e^{4t}\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}+c_2e^{t}\begin{pmatrix} -2 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}+\textbf{a}t+\textbf{b}[/tex]

The [itex]c_1[/itex] and [itex]c_2[/itex] are needed since any linear combination of your two independent homogeneous solutions will also be a solution to the homogeneous equation. And I don't think you need a [itex]t^2[/itex] term for your particular solution.

If you just have at + b then you'll just have a when you take the derivative. Ultimately I'm trying up an x whose derivative looks something like it does in the problem. Right? (t t)T = t(1 1)T.

Right, but [tex]\begin{pmatrix}2 & 2 \\ 1 & 3\end{pmatrix}\textbf{x}(t)[/tex] will also have a [itex]t[/itex] in it which should cancel the at for an appropriate choice of a.

gabbagabbahey said:
Right, but [tex]\begin{pmatrix}2 & 2 \\ 1 & 3\end{pmatrix}\textbf{x}(t)[/tex] will also have a [itex]t[/itex] in it which should cancel the at for an appropriate choice of a.

a and b have constant entries, right?

Jamin2112 said:
a and b have constant entries, right?

They'd better!

Keep in mind, that if you get an equation like Ma=-a for some matrix M, either -1 is one of its eigenvalues or a=0:wink:

gabbagabbahey said:
Keep in mind, that if you get an equation like Ma=-a for some matrix M, either -1 is one of its eigenvalues or a=0:wink:

Thanks, buddy. One more quick question!

On problem 3, I have a 3x3 matrix eigenvalues -2,-1 and corresponding eigenvectors (1 0 0)T and (0 1 0)T. Now, I know what with a 2x2 matrix, if I have only one eigenvector, giving me a solution x=eat$, then I guess a second solution x=teat$ + eat#. With a 3x3 matrix, do I try that with each of my two eigenvectors? Doing so seems to give me a solution for one but not the other.

The easiest way to solve problem 3 is to not do it in matrix form...just let [tex]\textbf{x}(t)=\begin{pmatrix}x_1(t) \\ x_2(t) \\ x_3(t) \end{pmatrix}[/tex] and solve the 3 DEs you get.

1. What is the purpose of using undetermined coefficients in solving x'=Ax+g?

The purpose of using undetermined coefficients is to find a particular solution to a non-homogeneous differential equation. This method is particularly useful when the non-homogeneous term (g) has a similar form to the homogeneous solution (x=A^-1g).

2. How do you determine the undetermined coefficients in this method?

The undetermined coefficients are determined by equating them to unknown constants and then solving for these constants using the given non-homogeneous term. The number of unknown coefficients will depend on the form of the non-homogeneous term.

3. Can the undetermined coefficients method be used for any non-homogeneous differential equation?

No, the undetermined coefficients method can only be used for non-homogeneous differential equations where the non-homogeneous term (g) has a similar form to the homogeneous solution (x=A^-1g). If the form of g is different, other methods such as variation of parameters may be more suitable.

4. Are there any limitations to using the undetermined coefficients method?

Yes, one limitation is that it can only be used for linear differential equations. Additionally, it may not work for more complex non-homogeneous terms that cannot be easily equated to unknown coefficients.

5. Can the undetermined coefficients method be used for systems of differential equations?

Yes, the method can also be applied to systems of differential equations, where the matrix A and the non-homogeneous term g are both matrices. The undetermined coefficients will be matrices as well, and the solution will be a vector of functions.