1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trial solution, undetermined coefficients, 2nd order non-homogeneous equation

1. Aug 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Write a trial solution for the method of undetermined coefficients. Do not determine the coefficients.

For: [itex]y'' + 2y' + 10y = x^2e^{-x}\cos{3x}[/itex]

There's a modification performed and I'm not 100% confident as to why.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The complementary equation gives a solution of

[tex]y_c = e^{-x}\left(c_1\cos{3x} + c_2\sin{3x}\right)[/tex]

Now, before considering a modification to the particular solution [itex]y_p[/itex], let's consider the standard trial solution by the method of undetermined coefficients. I would say it's

[tex]y_p = e^{-x}\left[(Ax^2+Bx+C)\cos{3x} + (Dx^2+Ex+F)\sin{3x}\right][/tex]

Now I know that the modification is performed so that "no term in the particular solution can be a solution for the complementary equation"...I do know basically what this means...and I would have thought that for the particular trial solution above, that neither term would suitably solve the complementary equation. Because the particular solution has a polynomial of degree 2 and the complementary solution has a polynomial of degree 0.

So I've thought, maybe we could solve the complementary equation with the trial solution [itex]y_p[/itex] if we set A,B and/or D,E to = 0,0, so that the polynomials in the trial solutions were reduced from 2nd degree to 0 degree.

Is this why we need to modify [itex]y_p[/itex] by multiply it by x? Because we can set A,B,D,E to zero in order to solve for the complementary equation? Thus, it won't really matter what degree a polynomial is in the solutions as far as deciding to modify is concerned?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As e-xcos(3x) is solution of the homogeneous (complementary) equation, you have to modify the particular solution by multiplying it with x.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  4. Aug 6, 2015 #3
    Yes I understand that, but in my particular solution I've already multiplied it by a polynomial of 2nd degree...why does it need to be brought up to a polynomial of 3rd degree?

5. Aug 6, 2015 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You had to multiply with second order polynomials as there is the factor x2 in the inhomogeneous term. One more x to multiply with is because e-xcos(3x) is solution of the homogeneous equation. Try to find a solution with your method; you won't be able.
    partsol.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  6. Aug 7, 2015 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Denote the derivative operator by D. The operator D+r acting on a term of the form ##x^p e^{-rx}## yields
    $$(D+r) (x^p e^{-rx}) = (p x^{p-1} e^{-rx} - r x^p e^{-rx}) + r x^p e^{-rx} = p x^{p-1} e^{-rx}.$$ The effect of the operator is basically to reduce the power of ##x## by 1 if ##p\ne 0##. If p=0, we have ##(D+r)e^{-rx} = 0##. In other words, ##e^{-rx}## is a solution of the homogeneous differential equation y' + ry = 0.

Now consider the differential equation ##(D+r)y = x^n e^{-rx}##. It has a homogeneous solution ##y_h = e^{-rx}##. From the result above, you should be able to see that in order to get a term like ##x^n e^{-rx}##, ##y## must contain a term of the form ##x^{n+1} e^{-rx}##. It doesn't matter that ##x^n e^{-rx}##, …, and ##x e^{-rx}## are independent from ##y_h##. When D+r acts on those terms, you end up with ##x^{n-1}e^{-rx}##, …, and ##e^{-rx}##, and there's no linear combination of them that is equal to ##x^n e^{-rx}##.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted