Somali Pirates seize super tanker

• News
  • Thread starter edward
  • Start date
In summary, the author is suggesting that high tech methods such as locks on control panels and shooting first should be used to stop the pirates from attacking tankers. The author believes that the crew of a tanker are not well-armed and that a few people with weapons could take the ship over.
lisab said:
Apparently there was some US cooperation, ending in concerted opposition to piracy.
Lee said the U.S. military also assisted in the operation.
Now that is a country for which the US might properly host a lavish state dinner, and not for the country that likely manufactured the AK-47s used by the pirates and jails its Nobel prize laureates.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's more like it. A bit more action, that's what we need.

Good on the South Koreans.

Personally, I wouldn't have captured any of them. On an operation like this, even 'execute with extreme prejudice' doesn't really do it for me.

jarednjames said:
That's more like it. A bit more action, that's what we need.

Good on the South Koreans.

Personally, I wouldn't have captured any of them. On an operation like this, even 'execute with extreme prejudice' doesn't really do it for me.

I think we should let them go free.

Last year, Russia freed some Somali pirates they captured last year into the ocean. It was 500 km away from land. They were not very good swimmers, it seems. None of them were ever seen again.

Lichdar said:
I think we should let them go free.

I agree! Say, at 30,000 feet?

Last year, Russia freed some Somali pirates they captured last year into the ocean. It was 500 km away from land. They were not very good swimmers, it seems. None of them were ever seen again.

Ah, well that'll work, too. It appears you, Jared and I on the same sheet of music. Apparently others, as well.

All kidding aside, I'm still a fan of due process. However, under maritime law, unlawful borders can be forcefully repelled, and that falls squarely under due process.