Some Astronomy/Cosmology Questions

• Thread starter stardrop
  • Start date
In summary, ) In response to a question about how to calculate the temperature of a star, Max explains that you can use λmax = Å to find the temperature. There is no maximum wavelength, but there is a wavelength that corresponds to the maximum in the intensity or power density curve.
stardrop
I hope this is the right place to post this! I think so. I'd really be grateful if anyone can give me any information about this--especially help with the math involved.

Homework Statement

How to calculate the temperature of a star using--

Homework Equations

λmax = Å

The Attempt at a Solution

Absolutely none, I'm completely lost. :blushing: I'd really like to understand the concept, but I don't know where to begin at all!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
stardrop said:
I hope this is the right place to post this! I think so. I'd really be grateful if anyone can give me any information about this--especially help with the math involved.

Homework Statement

How to calculate the temperature of a star using--

Homework Equations

λmax = Å

The Attempt at a Solution

Absolutely none, I'm completely lost. :blushing: I'd really like to understand the concept, but I don't know where to begin at all!

Thanks in advance!

What does this mean?

"How to calculate the temperature of a star using--"

And what does this mean?

λmax = Å

Are you saying the maximum wavelength emitted by the star is one angstrom? I seriously doubt that. If you know something about the wavelength that has the highest intensity, then the problem can be solved.

I meant how do you calculate the temperature of a star using λmax = Å. This is what my teacher wrote down on the board but he didn't explain it any further. I think maybe what he wrote means what equation do you use if the information you have is λmax IN Å, but I'm not sure. That's only what would make sense to me, a complete beginner.

"If you know something about the wavelength that has the highest intensity, then the problem can be solved." Can you tell me where I can find out more about this?

Thanks for your help!

I assume it means λmax = 1 Angstrom = 0.1nm. If you're just given a wavelength you can only use wien's displacement law.

Thanks so much! That's the answer I was looking for; now I'll read more about Wien's Displacement Law.

stardrop said:
I meant how do you calculate the temperature of a star using λmax = Å. This is what my teacher wrote down on the board but he didn't explain it any further. I think maybe what he wrote means what equation do you use if the information you have is λmax IN Å, but I'm not sure. That's only what would make sense to me, a complete beginner.

"If you know something about the wavelength that has the highest intensity, then the problem can be solved." Can you tell me where I can find out more about this?

Thanks for your help!

Max has given you the right direction. You can find more about it here

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/wien.html#c2

The site uses λpeak rather than λmax, which is a much better description of the wavelength of interest. There is no maximum wavelength, but there is a wavelength that corresponds to the maximum in the intensity or power density curve.

Thank you! Thanks for the extended explanation and the link--both were very helpful! (:

1. What is the difference between astronomy and cosmology?

Astronomy is the study of celestial objects and phenomena within the universe, while cosmology is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe as a whole. Astronomy focuses on individual objects such as planets, stars, and galaxies, while cosmology looks at the universe as a whole and tries to explain its properties and behavior.

2. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since. This expansion is supported by evidence such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the observed movements of galaxies.

3. How do we know the age of the universe?

The current estimate for the age of the universe is around 13.8 billion years. This number is based on observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the expansion rate of the universe, and the ages of the oldest stars and galaxies. Scientists use these data to calculate the universe's age using mathematical models and theories.

4. Is there life on other planets?

This is a highly debated question in the scientific community. While there is no concrete evidence of extraterrestrial life, many scientists believe that it is highly likely that life exists elsewhere in the universe. We have discovered thousands of exoplanets, some of which are in the habitable zone of their star, making them potential candidates for life.

5. What is dark matter and dark energy?

Dark matter and dark energy are two of the biggest mysteries in modern astronomy and cosmology. Dark matter is a type of invisible matter that makes up about 85% of the total mass in the universe. It does not interact with light, making it difficult to detect. Dark energy, on the other hand, is a mysterious force that is causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate. Its true nature is still unknown, but it is believed to make up about 68% of the universe's total energy.